Block All Internet Access except for certain devices
Gangstadad845
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to be able to setup the router to block all internet access after a certain time for all devices except for 3. How do I accomplish this? Example: Block all internet access at 10pm on Sunday-Thursday except for deviceA, deviceB, and deviceC.

Fios "Support" suggested adding each device I wanted to block.  I want to block all because just in case someone adds a new device to the network without me knowing about it, it will still be blocked.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Block All Internet Access except for certain devices
Gangstadad845
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all that replied.  I especially want to thank the stellar technical support of Verizon Fios.  Without them...mmmm I don't know, I probably could have spent the time I spent with them on the phone and chat doing something more meaningful.  Anyway, several different "technical" Verizon Fios representatives said it could not be done without using parental controls and without denying each specific device.  They even put me in touch with "Paul" from the maker of the wireless router, who also said the same thing.  I told them this did not sound right and especially when anyone (my kids) adds a new device to the network, I would have to continually update the rules.  Their suggestion was to change the password and don't give it to the kids.  Oh OK!  It also makes it difficult doing it this way because for some reason hostnames always change.  I don't know when this occurs.  Is it when the device leaves the network and comes back, router reboots, etc.  But if hostnames change, they are no longer in the list of denied devices.

This was the solution I came up with using the firewall rules:

Router=10.1.1.1

I limited my DHCP range to 10.1.1.2-10.1.1.100

I disabled DHCP on the 3 devices I wanted to have 24x7 internet access for and gave them the static IPs 10.1.1.101, 10.1.102, 10.1.1.103.

I created 2 firewall rules.

IP Range 10.1.1.2-10.1.1.100 Deny access Su, Mo,Tu,We, Th nights from 22:00-06:00

IP Range 10.1.1.103-10.1.1.255 Deny all access 24x7 (Did this step as an extra precaution)

With the IPs 10.1.1.101, 10.1.102, 10.1.1.103 not specified in the rules they have unlimited access 24x7, which is what I wanted.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Gangstadad845, I can help with getting this set up for you. Do you currently have a verison E, router? 

FXN.

0 Likes
Gangstadad845
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the information from the router:

Firmware Version:20.21.0.2
Model Name:MI424WR-GEN2
Hardware Version:E
0 Likes
Gangstadad845
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all that replied.  I especially want to thank the stellar technical support of Verizon Fios.  Without them...mmmm I don't know, I probably could have spent the time I spent with them on the phone and chat doing something more meaningful.  Anyway, several different "technical" Verizon Fios representatives said it could not be done without using parental controls and without denying each specific device.  They even put me in touch with "Paul" from the maker of the wireless router, who also said the same thing.  I told them this did not sound right and especially when anyone (my kids) adds a new device to the network, I would have to continually update the rules.  Their suggestion was to change the password and don't give it to the kids.  Oh OK!  It also makes it difficult doing it this way because for some reason hostnames always change.  I don't know when this occurs.  Is it when the device leaves the network and comes back, router reboots, etc.  But if hostnames change, they are no longer in the list of denied devices.

This was the solution I came up with using the firewall rules:

Router=10.1.1.1

I limited my DHCP range to 10.1.1.2-10.1.1.100

I disabled DHCP on the 3 devices I wanted to have 24x7 internet access for and gave them the static IPs 10.1.1.101, 10.1.102, 10.1.1.103.

I created 2 firewall rules.

IP Range 10.1.1.2-10.1.1.100 Deny access Su, Mo,Tu,We, Th nights from 22:00-06:00

IP Range 10.1.1.103-10.1.1.255 Deny all access 24x7 (Did this step as an extra precaution)

With the IPs 10.1.1.101, 10.1.102, 10.1.1.103 not specified in the rules they have unlimited access 24x7, which is what I wanted.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Before you sprain your arm patting yourself on the back remember to still monitor the list of connected devices and your kids as it is a trivial matter to change the IP of a device to one that is permitted unlimited access.   If your kids are teenagers and have any internet smarts they will simply change their IP address and log on with no limits.   Can do it through Windows or any number of free utrilities readily available on the Internet.

0 Likes
Gangstadad845
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I tested that as well.  Duplicate IPs don't work well on a network which would be easily detected.  Besides my kids would have to learn the IPs that were given out either by getting on our password protected devices or password protected router.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

There are many utilities available that will tell you the IP and MAC of every device connected to a network.

They work very well.  Run one of them sometime when you are in a hotel and you will be amazed at what you see.

In your case once your kids discover what the IP of the unlimited devices are all they have to do is pick the IP for one of them and assign it to their device and they are connected to the Internet.   During the middle of the night or if you have gone out for the evening the chance for a duplicate IP being assigned and creating an error message are much less particularly if you turn off your devices at night or one of the unlimited devices is a phone which you take with you when you go out.  If necessaryt they can also change the MAC address to match the MAC of an unrestricted device.

If you never turn off the unrestricted devices all the kids need to do is unplug the router for a minute and have their device beat your device to the unrestricted  IP.   If they power cycle the router after they are done, depending on your router's firmware it may wipe the logs.   The only indication that something had happened is the router's uptime will show hours and not days.

Even if you don't think your kids are computer savy there are  probably numerous YouTube videos demonstrating the technique to "bypass mean and unreasonable parent's Internet limitations."

0 Likes