Block a PC in my home from access to the internet by certain hours Westell 9100EM
rocster2

Hey folks, can anyone tell me the steps to Block a PC in my home from access to the internet by certain hours via it's MAC address? I have a Westell 9100EM 10 15. I am somewhat computer savy, but need it in plain english 🙂

0 Likes
Re: Block a PC in my home from access to the internet by certain hours Westell 9100EM
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The router's firmware pages have changed a little bit since this was put together last, but it may still be close enough for you to edge your way to the right place.  So try the below..

With the BHR's "Parental Controls" screen, you can create a basic access policy for any computer on the BHR's network by creating a set of rules (for example, block access to certain websites). To do this:  

1.    Open a Web browser and enter "http://192.168.1.1" in the Address bar, then press the "Enter" key on the keyboard. Click OK.
2.    Click Parental Control from the top of the Home screen.
3.    The "Parental Control" screen appears. From the "Networked Computer/Device" list box, select a computer/device, then click Add. The computer/device appears in the "Selected Devices" list box.
4.    In the "Limit Access by" section of the screen, select one of the following options: 

1.    Block the following Websites and Embedded Keywords within a Website - blocks all websites or keywords entered in step 4 from being accessed on the computers/devices selected in step 2.
2.    Allow the following Websites and Embedded Keywords within a Website - allows access only to the websites or keywords entered in step 4 on the computers/devices selected in step 2.
3.    Blocking ALL Internet Access - blocks all Internet access on the computers/devices selected in step 2.

5.    Enter the URL address of a website and, if applicable, the embedded keyword within the website. Click Add. The websites and/or keywords selected will appear in the textbox to the right. If you make a mistake, or wish to delete a previously entered website/keyword, select it, then click Remove.
6.    If needed, you can create a schedule for when you want the rule to be active, or inactive. In the "Create Schedule" section, select the affected days.
7.    Select whether the rule will be active or inactive during the schedule you created by clicking the radio button next to the appropriate option.
8.    If you want more precise control over the schedule, set up an hourly schedule by entering the start and end times in the appropriate text boxes. Don't forget to specify AM or PM. Note: The hourly schedule only affects the days selected in step 5. For example, if you select Saturday and Sunday, a start time of 10 a.m., and an end time of 3 p.m., the scheduled time will be Saturday/Sunday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
9.    In the "Create Rule Name" section, enter a rule name and description in the appropriate text boxes.
10.    Click Apply to save and apply the new rule.

There is a warning, some users have reported that their internet was noticeably slower with Parental Controls Enabled in the Router.

If you find that to be true, then you may want to go with a software solution, Verizon Offers Free Parental Controls Called Family Protection.  You can get that at www.verizon.net/freetools

0 Likes
Re: Block a PC in my home from access to the internet by certain hours Westell 9100EM
rocster2

Thanks for the quick response, however under parental controls, the "Networked Computer/Device" list box is not there. If I click on "New Entry" I can choose a host where the IP address shows, but I want to control it by the MAC.

Also curious, I clicked on the you provided, and it states I have to be a Broadband customer, I am a triple play customer and was logged in.

0 Likes