Blocking Websites with Westell 9100
JimMarshall

Hi,

We got FIOS installed last weekend.  I am trying to use some of the parental controls to block MySpace, Facebook and Youtube between 10pm and 6am.  However, when I place the rules in place, it does not seem to work.  Any ideas? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Blocking Websites with Westell 9100
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

This can also be done on Internet Explorer.Its easy and simple.   Go through these steps and you should be able to block any website.

Step 1 : Open Internet Explorer and go to the “Tools” menu bar at the top. Navigate to “Internet Options” and click to open these options. Go to the tab named “Content” and in the “Content Advisor” section click on “Enable“.

Step 2 : After you enable the content advisor, go to the “Approved Sites” tab and then write the specific website’s name that you want to block but there should be an asterisk (*) before the name of the website. For example if you want to block yahoo.com, then simply type *.yahoo.com. After you enter the URL just click on Never and then OK.

Step 3 : Go to the “General” tab and check the box which says “Users can see sites that have no rating“. Then click on “Change password” and set your desired password with a hint which will help to recover it if you ever forget your password.

And this is it. Now if you want to check whether you have successfully gone through all the steps, try to open any website that you have blocked (say www.yahoo.com) and it will ask for the password to open the desired page. So no body other than you can access the blocked websites.

*Note : This procedure should work on all versions of IE.

0 Likes
JimMarshall

Thanks for the information.  However I would perfer to do this at the router level and not at the OS level.  When I login to my router, and click parental controls, I have the rules in place, but it does not seem to work.

Thanks

0 Likes
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

It could possibly be that you need to set your PC's up with Static IP address.  You need to input the IP's in the Router.  If the IP changes on the PC then the IP's you set in the router will no longer be effective.  If you need assistance let me know.

0 Likes