Blocking one device?
LA1989

I know this sounds **bleep**, but bear with me. I have no clue about any of this. Is there a way to block one device from using the wireless in my house? Let's say, hypothetically of course, that I want to block a certain adolescent's iPod from accessing the internet. Can I block just that device? Or is there a way to set up a password that everyone who uses the wireless would have to have?

Thanks in advance....

0 Likes
Re: Blocking one device?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Yes to both questions.

1)  If you want to block a specific device, you can use an advanced filter.

• Click on the Advanced icon
  • Select Network Objects
  • Click Add.  The Edit Network Object screen is displayed.
  • Enter a description such as "Blocked iPods".
  • Click Add again
  • Select MAC address from the pull-down.
  • Enter the MAC address of the iPod you want to block.
  • APPLY.  The Network Objects screen is displayed.
  • Click ADD if you want to add another device to the rule, otherwise APPLY.

• Click on the Firewall Settings icon.
  • Select Advanced Filtering from the menu on the left.
  • Under Output Rule Sets, Click ADD across from Wireless Access Point Rules
  • Add Advanced Filter screen is displayed.
  • From the Source Address field, select "Blocked iPods".
  • From the Operation radio button, select drop.
  • In the "When should this rule occur" pull-down, select Always or create a schedule.
  • APPLY
  • Click APPLY again.
Re: Blocking one device?
prisaz
Legend

@LA1989 wrote:

I know this sounds **bleep**, but bear with me. I have no clue about any of this. Is there a way to block one device from using the wireless in my house? Let's say, hypothetically of course, that I want to block a certain adolescent's iPod from accessing the internet. Can I block just that device? Or is there a way to set up a password that everyone who uses the wireless would have to have?

Thanks in advance....

Everyone that connects to your wireless should need two things.

1. The SSID located on the sticker attached to the bottom of the router. Also broadcast where people can see it with a wireless device.

2  The WEP KEY also located on the sticker attached to the bottom of the router. Keep this private. But I do not recommend removing the sticker.

If this is not required, it means anyone could connect to your wireless. Which is not good. Selectively allowing access on a schedule is good, but may not be fixing the ultimate security issue. And that is the router might be wide open. Or your adolescent's network knowledge has grown, and they know how to manage your router, or get the key off of the sticker. Which in a way is a good thing. You have options.

1. Perform a hard reset of the router to put it back to its default configuration regarding WEP. Then log on and change your password for router management. Doing only this, still allows someone with physical access to the router to right down the key.

2. Be sure wireless security is enabled on your router, and at a minimum WEP On. Even better WAP. Change the key to something only you have a record of and is not printed on the bottom of the router. But I do not recommend removing the sticker.

3. Or set up scheduled access times as explained in the previous post.

Logging into your router. If you do no know how.

On the URL line in your browser type 192.168.1.1 press enter.

User name is admin, and the default password after a hard reset, meaning the reset button has been pushed, is no password or "password" without the quotes. If the password is still where the installer might have set it, try password1, if that does not work, then use the router serial number. If all else fails you may have to do a hard reset by pressing the reset button that is recessed on the back of the router. Paper clip works. Hold the button in for 15-20 seconds the lights will start flashing.

Once logged in you can select the wireless setting on the menu.