Blu-ray player connection to router
JM511

I have a Samsung BD-E5700-ZA Blu-ray player that is unable to connect to my wireless network. It sees my network, along with some others nearby, but when I go into settings and enter my WEP key it tells me "unable to connect," along with suggesting I turn my router off/on, which doesn't help. The router is a M1424WR from Verizon.

I see that all of the network settings for the Blu-ray are the same ones I see on my other computers that connect with no problem, EXCEPT the MAC address. The router has a MAC address on its back label that corresponds to my WEP key but does not match what I see in the settings window from the Blu-ray. Should I just change this?

0 Likes
Re: Blu-ray player connection to router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JM51 wrote:

I have a Samsung BD-E5700-ZA Blu-ray player that is unable to connect to my wireless network. It sees my network, along with some others nearby, but when I go into settings and enter my WEP key it tells me "unable to connect," along with suggesting I turn my router off/on, which doesn't help. The router is a M1424WR from Verizon.

I see that all of the network settings for the Blu-ray are the same ones I see on my other computers that connect with no problem, EXCEPT the MAC address. The router has a MAC address on its back label that corresponds to my WEP key but does not match what I see in the settings window from the Blu-ray. Should I just change this?

There is no correlation between the wep key and mac address.  Every device has a unique mac address which you shouldn't really play around with unless you know what you're doing.  The wep key is the access key to the router and is the same key that should be entered on every device accessing the router.BTW wep isn't very secure - takes only a couple of minutes to break into.  You should consider using something more secure, recommended is wpa2.

Is your bd player wireless N compatible? if not you will want to ensure that your router is running in compatibility mode not performance mode - performance mode omly allows wireless n connections.

0 Likes
JM511

Many thanks...

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt if you have this problem, but I found there was something wrong with the Samsung players wireless card and it couldn't remember long WPA2 passphrases.  Could only handle about 18 character ones.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@JM51 wrote:

You should not be using WEP but WPA2. What router revision do you have? Is the bluray set for b, g or n wireless? What is your router set for?

0 Likes