Re: Bonded MoCA 2.0 with Gigabit plan and STBs
KMead1

Has anyone done this and then gone back and added MoCa bonded adapters to create a LAN? Would ther be any issues with the WAN operating at 1000 MHz and then adding another adapter to create a LAN at 1150 MHz? 

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have not actually done it, but it should be doable. What the original poster did was reconfigure the frequency used by MoCA adapters to the D High Band to get them away from using the MoCA LAN frequencies they are set to by default. This was necessary in his case because he was also getting Verizon FiOS TV service and that gets the video on demand and guide info to the Verizon set-top box(es) from the coax from the router on the MoCA LAN frequencies. The theory is you should be able to have up to 16 MoCA devices on the coax (where the router is one device and each STB is another).

If you have the G1100 router, FiOS TV service, and added another MoCA adapter (I assume we are still talking about the ECB6200) without reconfiguring it, it should join in with the router and STBs on the LAN. You should be able to connect a device or switch to the Ethernet side of the adapter and have Internet service. That would not pass Gigabit ethernet (if I recall correctly) because it is unbonded MoCA 2.0, which I think tops out around 400 Mbps. (Older equipment like the MI424WR router and older STBs were MoCA 1.1, which was even slower.)

If your goal was to set up a Gbps LAN with MoCA adapters, you would probably have to reprogram a pair (or more) of the ECB6200s to the D High Band just so the frequencies they are using are away from the MoCA LAN the routers and STBs are using (at a slower rate) and the MoCA WAN (if you have coax service rather than Ethernet from the ONT). I don't have FiOS TV service, so I use a pair of these without any reprogramming necessary since there is no contention.

ripstaur1

So, why is Verizon's signal to the cable limited to 100 mbps? Did they install some sort of filter? 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the newer GPON ONTs it is because the ONT’s MoCA port is 1.1 so 100/100 is the max on coax WAN. The older BPON ONTs would max out at 75/75 or 75/35 whether coax or ethernet. 

NYCFiosBoy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a single ECB6200 and a single WCB6200Q. I changed the ECB6200 settings as you posted, with the RF Channel at 1400, and so on.  I tried changing the moca setting for the WCB6200Q, but there isn't any. The WCB6200Q should match the moca settings of the ECB6200 right? Or do i need another ECB6200? I thought the WCB6200Q should have bonded moca 2.0.

Furthermore, then I should have the ECB6200 connected to the Quantum via coax, but the ONT ethernet goes to the ECB6200?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
SamsonDog

This was awesome! 

Thank you! 

Little question for those of us who do not want to use FIOS Gateway router but are also using FIOS TV STB. 

How would you configure the "house side" so as to not lose FIOS TV functionality like on demand etc.? 

Thanks !  

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming your Internet service from the ONT is on Ethernet to your own router. Assuming that's correct, you just need something like one of the ECB6200s. You would plug the Ethernet cable to a LAN port on your router and connect the coax side into the coax running inside your house. The ECB6200 - as I understand it - ships configured to convert Ethernet to MoCA (coax) at the frequencies used by Verizon. This should make the programming guide and video-on-demand services work for the set-top boxes.

I essentially had that setup for years, but in my case, I had a Motorola NIM100 MoCA bridge. Ethernet from the ONT to my router, to a switch, to the NIM100, to coax, to the STBs and DVR.

Dave311
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Capricorn1: Thanks for confirming that this setup will work. Both Verizon and Motorola said it wouldn't. (Motorola because I was going to use their MM1000 MoCA Adapter instead of the ECB6200 referenced here.) I know why Verizon would say no (other than not understanding what I was asking): they want my $15/month for their lousy router. I cannot understand why Motorola said no.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Though many of us do these type of setups, it is completely unsupported by Verizon. Most tech support isn’t going to know or even work with you with this type of setup. The newer FiOS TV One boxes and previous Quantum boxes won’t even go through activation with the Verizon router in place. Which is why it’s good to have a spare on hand in case you ever have to swap out a box or activate a new one. 

Dave311
Enthusiast - Level 1

As I mentioned above, I was going to try to install the Motorola MM1000 MoCA adapter to get around having to use Verizon's router. I don't want to give a false impression. It wasn't just plug things in and go, but after some false starts and some mysterious (to me) side effects, I finally got everything working in harmony. So, yes, it can be done and I end up having spent $75 including tax for the MoCA adapter instead of $15/month for a Verizon router. Well worth the time spent getting all the partners to dance.