Boosting the wireless signal
Taty2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I can use the LINKSYS by Cisco Wireless-G Range Expander Model No. WRE54G on my M1424WR Verizon Router to boost the wireless signal in my laptop. I do have wireless signal, however since the router is not very close to the spot in which I usually use my laptop the signal sometime gets weak. For this reason I searched the web and came up with this device for signal boosting, my question is if this device will work with my Verizon router or make it worst.

Thank you.

Tatty

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Boosting the wireless signal
Hubrisnxs
Legend

cool solution,  thanks for reporting back to homebase!

😄

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The device should be able to work with the ActionTec router, though I wouldn't suggest using it due to the nature of repeaters. If need be, you can always add a stronger antenna to the ActionTec since it does have a removable antenna. Additionally, I would suggest setting up a second access point in your home, connected either via Ethernet or via MoCa (Coax > NIM100) to cover the areas where the ActionTec doesn't reach nicely. Either solution should work best for you.

Also, if the ActionTec isn't on the primary floor of your home, it might be worthwhile to relocate it. Basements (if your router is in one) tend to be a bad spot for wireless routers as signals do not travel upward nicely.

cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

First of all, check the channel in your router, (if you have 1)change to channel 11, this will help you,after that  reboot your

computer.

JUST IN CASE:

If not work you have more options channel 6, 9 try it too

NOTE:

one thing you need to take in count is, wireless router works in the same transmission range(2.4Ghz)  of the wireless phone.

Also microwaves, mirrors, radio frequency devices,stereo speakers, magnetic devices affect the connection between your

PC's an your router.

Good luck!

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Always try the channels first.  There is distinctly a weaker channel VS A stronger channel, and "sometimes" the router does an OK job of automatically switching between them.  If it doesn't and you get a weak signal then manually changing the channels is  a great first step. 

BTW - I have that EXACT model 

"Wireless-G Range Expander Model No. WRE54G"

and it is "ok"  it works better than what my wireless was before, but didn't fully solve my problem.  What fully solved my problem was getting a wireless N router that I liked and then following the guide below.

so buy an N router off the net, and use this guide to connect everything. 

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

0 Likes
Taty2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply.

I have a few questions that will help me understand your solution.

The first solution which calls for changing the channels: how do I do it?

Then since you do have the same model, I would like to ask you which N router you used. Or maybe let’s phrase it differently; which router would you recommend since thru the link you provided, I got a huge variety of choices.

Thank you again.

Taty

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Taty wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I have a few questions that will help me understand your solution.

The first solution which calls for changing the channels: how do I do it?

Then since you do have the same model, I would like to ask you which N router you used. Or maybe let’s phrase it differently; which router would you recommend since thru the link you provided, I got a huge variety of choices.

Thank you again.

Taty

To change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

The channels changing actually worked for me within x amount of distance, so there is a big possibility, that is all you will have to do. 

If that doesn't satisfy your problem, then you can look at solution 2.  The routers that I like are D-Link and TrendNet.  I tend to buy trendnet more often, as I am a cheapskate    ðŸ™‚ 

jk,  but its a good full functioning router, easy hook up and customizeable for my needs.    I bought it on special at walmart for 24.99 but I think that special is over and it's probably about 34.99 right now.  

It works well for my needs and is model TRENDnet TEW-652BRP  

This is also a good router, and a little faster - so for the price difference, the Gigabit ports make it worth it.  I am pretty sure it's reconditioned though.   Recertified Cisco Valet Plus M20 Wireless N 300Mbps Gigabit Router   39.99    maybe look up that model and see the reviews, and if people like it. 

0 Likes
Taty2
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner.

I have tried every idea you suggested, but not to my satisfaction. I called Verizon and they changed the channel to channel 11 and it not help. I bought the devices you recommended but neither one of them were good. I then bumped in to an AMPED HIGH POWER WIRELESS-300N SMART REPEATER. I just got it this afternoon, and I just finished to set it up, and guess what, it is working great.

I figured I should share this with all of you, and I thank everyone that put his input.

Taty 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

cool solution,  thanks for reporting back to homebase!

😄

0 Likes
stevejones1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Verizon Actiontec M1424 W/R and in the manual I believe it says this router does NOT work with any range extenders or amplifiers.  The only recommendation I saw from Actiontec was to buy a Reverse Polarity Sub-Miniture Adapter (RP-SMA) which essentially extends your antenna. 

Has anyone used one of these?  Did it appreciably extend wifi range?  Does it resemble an antenna is design?

Actiontec says the adapter is available at most electronic stores but, so far, neither Radio Shack or est Buy carried it.