Brand-new G3100 crashing and restarting constantly
qaraq
Enthusiast - Level 1

Friday I got a new G3100 to replace my old router. Saturday morning I plugged it in and everything was fine for about 15 minutes, then it rebooted. It kept rebooting several times over the next couple of hours until my family made me put the old router back. I tried running it both with its default wifi settings and with my old SSID and security passwords., with the same result. I don't see any degradation in performance before it goes; it's fine and then the light starts blinking and there's no network.

In the logs I see this when it comes back up:

2020 Mar 28 10:43:17 info sysup:[SYS.6][SYS] system startup
2020 Mar 28 10:43:17 info sysup:[SYS.6][SYS] Reboot by Power Cycle/Software Fault induced

There's nothing that looks like an error right before it goes, just some text about associating and de-associating MAC addresses.

Today I've been experimenting with it off the coax, just with one wifi device and later with a PC plugged into a LAN jack. It kept running a little longer, but still eventually rebooted itself. For some wacky reason it does not keep logs when not plugged into coax, so I'm not able to see what it's saying, but I did see that the uptime clock reset itself a couple of times.

To answer some questions I've seen in response to similar inquiries: I have two (non-quantum) set-top boxes on the coax network and they're running fine. At full load there are 3 wired and maybe 15 wifi devices on the network, though no more than 5 of wifi devices might be active at once.

Do I maybe just have a bad G3100? Is there anything else I can try? I'm going to call Verizon Monday morning, but I'd like to have as much info as possible when I do.

0 Likes
Re: Brand-new G3100 crashing and restarting constantly
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like a bad power brick. When the router is under heavier loads, it will draw more power. If the supply can't provide enough power, the router will reboot.

If you have a spare compatible supply with an equal or greater amperage rating, with the SAME VOLTAGE on the output, give another supply a try. But regardless, I would RMA the router if you don't have that option.

qaraq
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, I'll have a look around for another power supply. This one's 12V, 3.5A so I'll see what I have. Could be I have one lying around spare from something or another.

0 Likes
qaraq
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon shipped me a new G3100. I tried the new power supply on the old router, no dice- crashed in 45 minutes. Now the new one is plugged in and has been going for 3 hours, so fingers crossed.

0 Likes
MMG360

I had the exact same problem and as an "IT TECH" I refused to return the router for a new one because I just knew I could identify and fix the issue. After 10 days of constant and random reboots with the error you described, I received my replacement G3100 router. It has been about 6 hours no reboot (longest span in the last 10 days). So far so good, keeping fingers crossed. I would suggest replacing your router, Verizon was able to overnight the replacement which I noted had newer firmware (ver 1.3.6.27) than the first G3100 i received (ver. 13.6.12)

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes