Re: Bridge G1100 So Your Router Becomes Primary
jlhunter2008
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jon,

That worked! Another question, any reason why on the new router when I setup port forwarding, the ports only stay open for just a couple of seconds and then close?

jonjones1
Legend

There is two points that come to mind. First is obvious in that port forwarding may not be accomplished under Fios. I cannot remember but I think they only allow two ports to be used by the customers.

the second thing I would do is check your routers documentation which may show step by step how to fix your issue.

if you need to visit http://www.dslreports.com and click on forums and select Fios.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

your question may have techs far superior to my knowledge fix or answer your inquiry.

pretty decent forum posters over there. Give them a shout out. 

PhoenixS7

Sorry to reopen this folks. I’m trying to see what people are getting as speeds. I have the G1100 and am on gigabit. However my 2.4 ghz only nets me in the 50-60 Mbps and 5 ghz gives me 300-400 Mbps, up and down.

I did what what was said as the “solved” answer on both the nighthawk mentioned as well as what I have now, the TP-LINK AC1900 and I only have ~5-10% increase in speed.

all tests were done directly in front of the routers with only my iPhone X and MacBook Pro.

am I missing a setting or something?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I repeat this over and over.

speed test via WiFi is not accepted. And I know any iPhone cannot connect directly via ethernet.

you take a ethernet cable from the routers LAN port and attach it to a high end computer be it laptop or desktop. The NIC Card must be gigabyte rated, and turn off any Norton or mcafee antivirus programs or any other programs like it.

you should get 940/880 as the up to speeds. 

That is what you were missing. On WiFi from an iPad I get the following.

imageThis was a few days ago but you get the idea

Threlot

Hey quick question, can we just check the box turn WiFi off or do we have to all the steps above turning off the 2.4 and 5

0 Likes
Gaudfather1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the help. Just getting around to doing this :-). Everything works it seems like but I was wondering if I should disable the DHCP server on the Fios router? Or should I just change the IP range?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Threlot wrote:

Hey quick question, can we just check the box turn WiFi off or do we have to all the steps above turning off the 2.4 and 5

Check the box, or turn off individually. As long as it’s off the othe other router will function properly.

Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just wanted to chime in... But this is actually incorrect. Maybe you meant a couple of ports are blocked for use like port 80 and 25... But I've opened 21 for FTP, 8080 for some stuff and several others

0 Likes
MrGrynch
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hope I’m wrong here.  I don’t see how this is a good setup.

- Connect the ONT WAN to router WAN

- Connect router LAN to G1100 WAN.  This involves a NAT

Connect G1100 LAN to router LAN.  This involves another NAT

Double NATing causes problems with more advanced setup with DMZ, Servers, port forwarding, static routes, etc.

sjc3lll

Justin, I have just setup my new Asus RT-AC88U router with the Quantum G1100 as you have described.  However, it does not allow you to access OnDemand service for FIOS TV which is the point of using the G1100 as a bridge for coax connection to the STBs.  I called Verizon Tech Support and they told me to connect the Wan ethernet cable to the Wan port of the G1100 then run a LAN port connection from G1100 to the WAN port on the Asus.  That seemed to fix the OnDemand service.  I do not like this setup as Verizon recommended because it is not allowing my Asus router to be the main router on my network.  Do you have any recommendations or suggestions?

0 Likes