Re: Bridge G1100 So Your Router Becomes Primary
hf995

I like where this is going.... Is there any kind of 3rd pary MoCA adapter I could just buy to toally rempas the M1100 and propage the signal to my STBs? Pwehaps the Motorol MM1000 - http://motorolacable.com/support/MM1000/ 

Thoguth?

0 Likes
MoonDragn1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Actiontec Moca 2.0 ECB6200 bonded adapters. I have the same question you do. I know the G1100 broadcasts unbonded moca 2.0 to the STBs the question is which ports need to be opened for that? I know the G1100 moca LAN is at 1150 Mhz, what frequency is the ONT moca WAN on? Is the on demand stuff coming from the ONT wan (moca 1.1) or the G1100 moca Lan (moca 2.0)?

I had an expert verizon installer setting up my house and he couldn't answer any of these questions. In the end I had to use the Verizon G1100 and because Verizon can't fish wires in my house the G1100 ended up in my living room, which is an eyesore. 

I want to replace the G1100 with my own router, and replace the Moca signal with my own moca adapter, eliminating the G1100. Anyone have any STB setup info?

0 Likes
l2apsux

what if your netgear night hawk does not immediately have internet? if i can avoid this bridging crap then id like to do that,  i spent hours on th ephone but i saw nothing here about what to do if idid not immediately pick up.

spent an hour and a half trying to trouble shout their router and mine and i know thier **bleep** g1100 is the problem and i have internet only, so this should have been SIMPLE!

errors
"dns did not repsond"
"dns failed bad config"
"googles ip adress could not be found"

it wants to work so bad and my internet light went to the right color and all lights go solid on my router, but it is just a closed door.

it even says "connected, secured" in windows when i connect to either bandwith, 2,4 or 5.0

0 Likes
Snapcard

Using a personal Router with FiOS Quantum G1100 and FIOS TV One Set Top Boxes

I’ve read a lot of different ways to get this to work but after trial and error, I found this to work best for me.

No need to bridge. 

I use a pfSense router/firewall and wanted to add FIOS TV but didn’t want to use Verizon’s G1100 routers.

My setup that finally worked:

1. Verizon CAT6 WAN to pfSense router WAN port.
  2. pfSense LAN to Switch.
  3. G1100 WAN to Switch
  4. G1100 LAN x to two Mini FIOS TV One boxes only nothing else except HDMI to TV and power.
  5. Coax from FIOS split, one to G1100 and one to FIOS TV One DVR box.
  6. Nothing to FIOS TV One DVR box Ethernet port. Must be left open or nothing will work.
  7. pfSense LAN switch to the rest of my home network.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like you could have a double NAT issue.

Does everything work? On demand? FIOS App to watch recorded content?

FIOS App to act as remote control?

jrmonta
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just finished working through setting up my own router as the primary router and using the Verizon G1100 only for Moca data to the Verizon STBs.

I agree with CRobGauth... both the accepted solution by JustinG and the Message #24 from Snapcard may result in NAT problems because by connecting 

new router LAN --> WAN G1100

they are setting up a network with 2 subnets, one for each router.  Even if it works, you cannot access the G1100 admin gui while being connected to your new router because you're actually outside the G1100's subnet.  Here is the solution that works great for me.

1.  Disconnect G1100 from ONT and connect to LAN port via ethernet to change settings so that it is no longer a router and is only a Moca bridge.

1a.  Turn off 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi radios as described elsewhere

This is because I'm only using my new router for wifi clients.

1b.  Disable both Wireless Access Points and Broadband Connection (Network Connections -> Network(Home/Office)-> Edit -> Settings)

Disables the WAN port because I want a "flat" network... only one subnet for all clients

1c.  Disable IP Address Distribution

Turns off DHCP because only my new router will be assigning IP adresses.

1b.  [OPTIONAL] Set the Network(Home/Office) IP address to a fixed value in the new router's subnet like 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0

This is hard-coding the IP address of the G1100's LAN port.  It is the IP address you will use to access the G1100 admin gui once your network is setup.  It should not be in the new router's DHCP range because you don't want the new router to assign this address to another device on the network.  If you don't do this then the G1100 will get assigned a random IP via DHCP from your router and you'll have to look it up in your router's gui in order to connect to the G1100 via wifi.

Apply settings and restart G1100.

2.  Connect the ONT ethernet to your new router's WAN port.

New router will get its public IP address from Verizon just like the G1100 used to.  You may have to release the DHCP lease from the G1100 first but that is well documented elsewhere.

2a. Setup your new router's wifi settings however you like.  Its LAN IP should be 192.168.1.1 so set your DHCP range to 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254, leaving space for the G1100's static IP (192.168.1.2).

3.  Make LAN-LAN connection between your router and the G1100 via ethernet.

Router LAN <--> LAN G1100

The G1100 is now a client on your router's LAN.  G1100 will not assign IP addresses and it will be a bridge so that all of its clients (the set-top boxes) will be on your router's LAN.

4.  Make coax connection between ONT and G1100 and STB's.

This is the same as before.  Data connection for the STB's is now as follows:

ONT <--ethernet--> Router <--ethernet--> G1100 <--moca/coax--> STB

With this setup all clients are on the same subnet.. and On-Demand,etc. works for the STB's.  My next step is to replace the G1100 with a Moca adapter and stop paying the monthly rental fee.

DrNik

Hi JRMonta,

I'm going to try the same with my Asus RT-AC86U (AC 2900) as the main Internet router. I bought my Quantum Gateway G1100 router for $140 so I don't pay a rental fee, but want to keep it as a MoCA Bridge with my TV One MVR and 3 TV One Mini's for DVR, On Demand, Guide, etc. still working. I have the same goal to have 1 Subnet with all DHCP & NAT coming from my Asus router.

I will Release the WAN IP and immediately disconnect the ONT Ethernet to WAN so it doesn't try to automatically renew.  Then per your instructions disable IP Address Distribution, Turn off 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz WiFi radios, Disable both wireless access points, and set the Firewall to Low.

You said to connect from my Asus LAN port to the G1100 LAN port. Since I'm disabling IP Address Distribution to turn off DHCP on the G1100, then why do I need to Disable Broadband Connection and the WAN port? Won't it still work as a Bridge connected to the WAN port and be assigned an IP by my Asus and the STB's IP's? I still need the G1100 LAN ports/Switch working so any device connected is assigned an IP by the Asus.

Since it will be the 2nd device connected to my Asus I will change it to a Reserved IP so it won't change. Instead of creating Static IP's outside of DHCP, this is how I normally deal with devices who's IP's I want to stay the same (e.g. Home Media/Backup Server, Network Printer, Routers, VoIP Phone Adapter, etc.).

I would appreciate any additional information or advice about my setup and why I can't keep the WAN port in MoCA Bridge mode. Also, just want to verify with your setup that all of your TV One services still work (DVR, Search, Guide, On Demand, etc.)?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DrNik wrote:

Hi JRMonta,

I'm going to try the same with my Asus RT-AC86U (AC 2900) as the main Internet router. I bought my Quantum Gateway G1100 router for $140 so I don't pay a rental fee, but want to keep it as a MoCA Bridge with my TV One MVR and 3 TV One Mini's for DVR, On Demand, Guide, etc. still working. I have the same goal to have 1 Subnet with all DHCP & NAT coming from my Asus router.

I will Release the WAN IP and immediately disconnect the ONT Ethernet to WAN so it doesn't try to automatically renew.  Then per your instructions disable IP Address Distribution, Turn off 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz WiFi radios, Disable both wireless access points, and set the Firewall to Low.

You said to connect from my Asus LAN port to the G1100 LAN port. Since I'm disabling IP Address Distribution to turn off DHCP on the G1100, then why do I need to Disable Broadband Connection and the WAN port? Won't it still work as a Bridge connected to the WAN port and be assigned an IP by my Asus and the STB's IP's? I still need the G1100 LAN ports/Switch working so any device connected is assigned an IP by the Asus.

Since it will be the 2nd device connected to my Asus I will change it to a Reserved IP so it won't change. Instead of creating Static IP's outside of DHCP, this is how I normally deal with devices who's IP's I want to stay the same (e.g. Home Media/Backup Server, Network Printer, Routers, VoIP Phone Adapter, etc.).

I would appreciate any additional information or advice about my setup and why I can't keep the WAN port in MoCA Bridge mode. Also, just want to verify with your setup that all of your TV One services still work (DVR, Search, Guide, On Demand, etc.)?

I have the same setup as you with G1100 as a bridge. Everything you said is correct. Asus LAN to G1100 LAN. Disabled wifi and DHCP server.  I changed the IP to 192.168.1.2 since my Ubiquiti router is 192.168.1.1 

DrNik

@Edg1,

My question is if I'm disabling IP Address Distribution to turn off DHCP on the G1100 then why can't I connect from an Asus LAN port to the G1100 WAN port? Shouldn't it now be under the Asus Subnet & DHCP? Is one of the steps disabling the WAN port and if so why?

For example, in my current setup I'm still using my older Asus RT-AC68U in Access Point mode only.  The G1100 is main router and its LAN1 port goes to Asus WAN port. The Subnet, DHCP, & NAT are all from the G1100.

In my new setup I want my primary Internet router to be the new Asus RT-AC86U that handles the Subnet, DHCP, & NAT.  Once the G1100 is setup for Bridge mode why can't i connect to its WAN port and have everything work correctly? What am I missing here? I'm fairly good with networking and device configuration, but the problem here is the complexity of Verizon's setup. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Honestly either way will work. Some devices in bridge mode will instruct you connect to the WAN and others the LAN. 

I setup a neighbor's newer ASUS router in AP mode and the onscreen instructions said to connect to the LAN port.