Bridge necessary if Ethernet connection from ONT to Actiontec router?
DanLNYC

Hi community,

My default Verizon FiOS Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router has been performing poorly for my devices at the far end of my large apartment. I bought a new router, Netgear Nighthawk R6700, to act as my more powerful router while I make the Actiontec a bridge.

All of the instructions I looked up on the web assumes that the connection from the ONT to the Actiontec uses MoCA, but I actually have an Ethernet connection. My question is, does the Actiontec still need to be a bridge since this is the case (ie. can I swap in my Netgear router directly)? If the Actiontec still needs to be a bridge, what are the modifications to the instructions I would use to accomplish this given that all of the instructions available online cater to a MoCA connection?

Please note that I am not tech savvy at all when it comes to making a bridge. This will be my first time attempting this so I would appreciate a dummy's instructions that wouldn't assume that I knew where a particular button or icon was, although I am a quick learner.

Thank you.

Dan

0 Likes
Re: Bridge necessary if Ethernet connection from ONT to Actiontec router?
jonjones1
Legend

@DanLNYC wrote:

Hi community,

My default Verizon FiOS Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router has been performing poorly for my devices at the far end of my large apartment. I bought a new router, Netgear Nighthawk R6700, to act as my more powerful router while I make the Actiontec a bridge.

All of the instructions I looked up on the web assumes that the connection from the ONT to the Actiontec uses MoCA, but I actually have an Ethernet connection. My question is, does the Actiontec still need to be a bridge since this is the case (ie. can I swap in my Netgear router directly)? If the Actiontec still needs to be a bridge, what are the modifications to the instructions I would use to accomplish this given that all of the instructions available online cater to a MoCA connection?

Please note that I am not tech savvy at all when it comes to making a bridge. This will be my first time attempting this so I would appreciate a dummy's instructions that wouldn't assume that I knew where a particular button or icon was, although I am a quick learner.

Thank you.

Dan

Bear with me. I am old 😀

You dd not say if you have tv and phone as well as broadband. If you take your Actiontec router and have tv/phone you will need the coaxial to get our tv and guide.

i have no expertise on phone but I don't believe it is necessary to connect to any router just to the ont.

now while leaving the Verizon router as it is I would simply put the new Netgear router to the location you want it. Then get a long enough Ethernet cable and plug it into a LAN port on the actiontec and then run the cable along the way or floor to the Netgear plug into the yellow WAN port.

go into the actiontec settings and turn off the wifi on it. Then access the Netgear router from http://www.routerlogin.net and put in your Netgear login/password

go into the settings and select Access Point Mode. Read the manual on how to access it.

after you put the AP in service your Netgear will handle the wifi and direct connection and you still will be able to use the LAN connections from both routers.

it really is easier to do then my trying to tell you.

Good Luck