Bridging Actiontec MI424-WR Rev E Router to NETGEAR WGR614 v9 Router
benjiNY
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like any information on how to succesfully bridge the MI424-WR Rev E router to the NETGEAR WGR614 V9 ROUTER.

I would also like it to keep On DEMAND features, as every time I attempt to fix this bridge, I lose all widgets and on demand.

The reason for my switchover is because the router provided with the verizon fios, is just awful. The signal strength is terrible, and although it is a G class WiFi router, the NETGEAR router which I am switching over to, is also a G CLASS router and can keep FULL SIGNAL throughout the entire house, where as the VERIZON PROVIDED router, loses a bar as soon as I step out of the bedroom door. That is LITERALLY 6 feet away.

If I can't switch it over succesfully now, the only other option is to switch to cablevision, due to their competitive internet speeds and the fact they supply you with a free N GRADE router.

Please help, it's an utter pain.

IT IS CONNECTED VIA COAX to the Verizon BOX downstairs 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bridging Actiontec MI424-WR Rev E Router to NETGEAR WGR614 v9 Router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

This will probably tell you what you want to know

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Personally I find it much easier to make a LAN to WAN connection and just leave the VZ router to do it's own thing with the STBs.

Configure your secondary router to use a different subnet e.g 192.168.2 and to have a static WAN ip address on the 192.168.1 subnet.

Then connect a LAN port from the VZ router to the WAN port of the secondary router.

Connect all workstations to the secondary router and use the wireless on the secondary router too.

The VZ router wireless will still be visible if you want to use it.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

This will probably tell you what you want to know

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Personally I find it much easier to make a LAN to WAN connection and just leave the VZ router to do it's own thing with the STBs.

Configure your secondary router to use a different subnet e.g 192.168.2 and to have a static WAN ip address on the 192.168.1 subnet.

Then connect a LAN port from the VZ router to the WAN port of the secondary router.

Connect all workstations to the secondary router and use the wireless on the secondary router too.

The VZ router wireless will still be visible if you want to use it.

benjiNY
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks MATE!

Worked a charm :)!