Bridging question (FiOS QG with FiOS network extenders)
imlazar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi all,

Bear with me, this is going to be complicated. :-). But, i'm a networking geek so hopefully this makes sense.

I have a question about bridging from a FiOS QG to a Azus wireless router.  Here's the current setup:

- FiOS QG router, connected via Coax to the ONT on first floor

- FiOS Network Extenders on top and basement floors, connected via Coax splitter

- FiOS DVR and remote STB on first and 2nd floors

Even with the network extenders, Wi-Fi covereage is awful.  If i'm more than 30 feet or so from the QG or extender the performance is insufficient to support voice/videoconerencing (I work from home, so these are essential).

So, my plan is to bridge from the FiOS QG to a much better Asuz home wifi router.  I've set the Asuz up as a wireless bridge, located near the QG, and while it is working, ocassionally my WiFi devices will try to connect to the FiOS QG and I'll end up with a poor connection.  So what i'm wondering is if I can bridge between the QG and the Azus router via wired Ethernet, and turn off WiFi in the QG.  If my hunch is correct, this would enable my STBs to continue to function normally, allow the extenders to continue to work, and allow the QG to push IP addresses to wireless devices that connect to the Azus router.

I've read everything I can find in this forum.  Changing from Coax to Ethernet at the ONT isn't possible without ripping up walls. 

So is this scenario possible:

WALL ---coax. --- FioS QG. --- Ethernet -- Azus Router with the FioS QG still being the default gateway and DHCP server?

0 Likes
Re: Bridging question (FiOS QG with FiOS network extenders)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser. Log in with the user name and password on sticker go to basic wifi setting and turn off the 2.4 and 5 ghz radio. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another thing is to take note of the IP addresses that you extenders have too. Log into them and change them wifi info in them to be the same as your Azus router. This way you don't have to manually change between wifi networks.

0 Likes
imlazar
Enthusiast - Level 3

It looks like this is working.  I left my Asus Router configurd as a wireless bridge, conencted it from the WAN port on the Asus to an Ethernet port on the FiOS QG.  I then disabled WiFi on the QG.  It looks like the Asus is still bridging.  If I go to 192.168.1.1 I get the QG log-in screen.  Whoo hooo!

0 Likes