Brief temporary internet loss,which returns automatically
00pete
Enthusiast - Level 1

For about a week, every couple of hours I will briefly lose internet connectivity on all wired & wireless devices. All lights on the router go off, then return on their own & connectivity is restored. Maybe 2 minutes from loss to restoration  It wouldn't be a big problem, but I work from home.  Checked with neighbors, no issues. Anyone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Brief temporary internet loss,which returns automatically
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Got an update for us as to how the router behaves when the connection goes out?

In this case, if the router is crashing, try factory resetting the router. If you do not have any custom settings, the most this will do is force the router back to a clean state (configuration wise), and will also reboot the router in the process. If the router continues to reboot, make sure the router is not overheating, same with the power supply for the router. Failing that, call Verizon and ask for a new router to be shipped to you.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which router are you currently using for your home? To be sure, do you know if any device is running P2P software, or other connection a heavy services like Steam? This to me sounds like either your router is crashing and rebooting, or you have a problem with the power supply to the modem. Normally when a connection drops, everything but the Internet light should remain nearly solid.

00pete
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm using the M1424 wireless router.  No heavy P2P running.  It seems like a crash & reboot to me also (do you think I need a new router?)   I'll need to pay closer attention, but it could be that those 2 lights stay on.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Got an update for us as to how the router behaves when the connection goes out?

In this case, if the router is crashing, try factory resetting the router. If you do not have any custom settings, the most this will do is force the router back to a clean state (configuration wise), and will also reboot the router in the process. If the router continues to reboot, make sure the router is not overheating, same with the power supply for the router. Failing that, call Verizon and ask for a new router to be shipped to you.