Customers With Disabilities
 

Welcome to the Verizon Fios Community.

Find help and answers to questions about anything and everything Verizon.

Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!

SOLVED
Reply
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-31-2010

Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!

Hey I've been waiting for Fios for over 3 years since 2007 to be opened up in Irvine in the Northwood/Sand Canyon area.  We're a well-off neighborhood with a very high interest in the new technology fiber optic HD TV and Internet that Verizon has to offer.

 

Almost everyone in our area uses Verizon wireless phone service, so that brand is popular here.

 

Anyways, I full-heartedly believe in this technology and what it has to offer in it's all-in-one line that offers telephone, uncompressed HD TV, and fast 50GB/20GB fios net.

 

I've done some perusing and found a two theories as to why it's not here yet:

1) COX is too competitive, so establishing a network here is not worth it

2) COX is actually STOPPING verizon from building here

 

Which one do you guys think it is?

 

Is anyone in Irvine wanting FioS as badly as I do?

5 REPLIES
Gold Contributor I
Posts: 1,692
Registered: ‎05-17-2009

Re: Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!


Nickos wrote:

Hey I've been waiting for Fios for over 3 years since 2007 to be opened up in Irvine in the Northwood/Sand Canyon area.  We're a well-off neighborhood with a very high interest in the new technology fiber optic HD TV and Internet that Verizon has to offer.

 

Almost everyone in our area uses Verizon wireless phone service, so that brand is popular here.

 

Anyways, I full-heartedly believe in this technology and what it has to offer in it's all-in-one line that offers telephone, uncompressed HD TV, and fast 50GB/20GB fios net.

 

I've done some perusing and found a two theories as to why it's not here yet:

1) COX is too competitive, so establishing a network here is not worth it

2) COX is actually STOPPING verizon from building here

 

Which one do you guys think it is?

 

Is anyone in Irvine wanting FioS as badly as I do?


When you say Irvine, I assume you mean Irvine, CA right? If so, COX cannot prevent Verizon from coming in. Verizon already has a license to install FIOS state wide. Assuming that it is a Verizon area to begin with. Can you get Verizon DSL where you live. If no, then that is not a Verizon "zone" and fios will never roll out there. Well at least not until it rolls out to the rest of the existing Verizon footprint first. If Verizon DSL is in the area, then the likely reason it hasnt been installed yet is cost. It is extraordinarily expensive to install FIOS. The last study I read, said that if Verizon installed FIOS into a neighborhood, and the customer ordered all 3 services and took the large package (at the time it was the premier tv package and the 15/2 internet was the largest), it would take Verizon aprox 4.5 years before they would start to see a profit. Verizon is looking long term with this. That is the reason they have slowed the rollout nationwide and even stopped expanding in some areas. They want to focus on what is already out, reinforce it, and get it so that they are seeing a profit again and then they will start expanding again. So if you are in a Verizon territory, you likely will get FIOS but it is also just as likely to take a while.




====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Silver Contributor IV
Posts: 1,217
Registered: ‎12-14-2009

Re: Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!


spacedebris wrote:

Can you get Verizon DSL where you live. If no, then that is not a Verizon "zone" and fios will never roll out there.


 

I don't agree with that part of your statement.

 

We could never get DSL in our neighborhood on Long Island.  We still can't.   We're just too far from the C.O.  Yet we have FiOS now and I'm lovin' it.

 

 

 

Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎08-06-2009
Device: Westell 9100em
Plan: have it all
Location: Norwalk, CA

Re: Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!

 


eljefe wrote:

spacedebris wrote:

Can you get Verizon DSL where you live. If no, then that is not a Verizon "zone" and fios will never roll out there.


 

I don't agree with that part of your statement.

 

We could never get DSL in our neighborhood on Long Island.  We still can't.   We're just too far from the C.O.  Yet we have FiOS now and I'm lovin' it.

 

 

 


 

What he meant is that the OP  might live in a AT&T area as southern California is split between the former GTE and Pacific Bell.  so the correct question for the OP is who supplies you current LANDLINE to your house?  if it's Verizon , then there's a chance FIOS is coming,  if it's AT&T   there's  ZERO  chance of FIOS.

 

keep in mind that 25mbps from COX or FIOS is the same (well almost), and that from what's been said here and there FIOS is at a stand still for NEW areas.

Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-13-2016

Re: Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!

I am also in the Quail Hill/ Sand Canyon area. ATT is our landline phone monopoly. So no chance of Verizon fios. Hopefully one day, ATT will provide something similar since they service the area. Our only choice is COX, ATT, and Direct TV. 

Moderator
Posts: 4,545
Registered: ‎03-18-2013

Re: Bring us FIOS in Irvine!!!

[ Edited ]

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.  As of April 1, 2016, Verizon no longer has wireline services in California, and Frontier is now the service provider in that state.

 

My Verizon

  • Check Email
  • Add or Change Services
  • Suspend My Service
  • Manage Services

Support

Watch Fios