Broken Tab on Router Port
polarjud
Enthusiast - Level 2

I broke a tab on the back of my Verizon-supplied ActionTec MI424WR,  As a result, the Ethernet cable will not snap into place.  I have it loosely secured with duct tape, but it is very loose.  I bought a LinkSys Simultaneous Dual-Ban Wireless-N router to replace it.  Will this work?  What about the coaxial cable connection?  It seems to be required for TV on-demand services to work.  Do I have to stay with the ActionTec?  If so, how do I get a replacement?

--Dave

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Broken Tab on Router Port
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Wireless Signals work best top down, not down up.

I recommend you call tech support at 888-553-1555 and request a replacement router.

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

First off the Router doesn't have a tab, the Ethernet cable has a tab on it.  Simply replacing the Ethernet Cable will fix your problem.  If you use a replacement router you will have the same problem.

If you don't use the Actiontec router you will lose the Channel Guide and Video on Demand.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jumpin68ny wrote:

If you don't use the Actiontec router you will lose the Channel Guide and Video on Demand.

I would not be so sure of that.

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Only with option 4 (bridge the Actiontec and use another router), that is true.

polarjud
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, maybe "tab" is not the right word, but the Ethernet cable is still okay.  I can snap it into the LAN ports on my ActionTec router and into my internet port of my new router just fine.  There is some little extrusion of plastic inside the ActionTec router port that catches hold of the cable end.  That extrusion is now gone.  I also tried sticking a different piece of cable into the ActionTec router port.  It, too, will not snap into place.  So the ActionTec router is definitely broken.   

Interestingly, with the coaxial cable unplugged from the router, I still get the channel guide, but "video on demand" is unusable.  Isn't there any other way to get video on demand? 

If I need to stick with the ActionTec, how do I replace it?  Take it to a Verizon store? I tried local computer stores, but they don't carry it. 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Call Verizon Tech Support at 888-553-1555 and they can help get this replaced.  The Channel guide for a few days gets loaded into the STB. You won't be able to access any channel guide info beyond a few days.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@polarjud wrote:

Well, maybe "tab" is not the right word, but the Ethernet cable is still okay.  I can snap it into the LAN ports on my ActionTec router and into my internet port of my new router just fine.  There is some little extrusion of plastic inside the ActionTec router port that catches hold of the cable end.  That extrusion is now gone.  I also tried sticking a different piece of cable into the ActionTec router port.  It, too, will not snap into place.  So the ActionTec router is definitely broken.

Look at the sample picture.

http://i48.tinypic.com/3009lx5.jpg

While the picture above is not the ActionTec (it is only a hub), I have to ask you a question.

#1 You mean one of your LAN ports of the router is broken like the LAN port 5 of my hub?

--

#2 If that is not what you meant, and you have a camera - take a picture and upload the picture to tinypic (or another picture hosting site) and give the URL out of the picture.

^^^

polarjud
Enthusiast - Level 2

In response to jumpin68ny,

You were certainly correct about the channel guide.  It has now disappeared.  I still hope there is some other solution though.  I never liked the ActionTec.  It never sent a strong signal to the top floor of my house from the basement. 

0 Likes
polarjud
Enthusiast - Level 2

To dslr595148:

Here is a picture link.  http://picasaweb.google.com/polarjud/BrokenActionTecEthernetPort#5412705379544318786

The ethernet port highlighted by the pencil will no longer accept ethernet plugs with a good snap.  Plugs can only be held in place with duct tape. 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Wireless Signals work best top down, not down up.

I recommend you call tech support at 888-553-1555 and request a replacement router.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@polarjud wrote:

To dslr595148:

Here is a picture link.  http://picasaweb.google.com/polarjud/BrokenActionTecEthernetPort#5412705379544318786

The ethernet port highlighted by the pencil will no longer accept ethernet plugs with a good snap.  Plugs can only be held in place with duct tape. 

Major ouch. By the looks of that picture...

That is the RJ-45 WAN port, As the yellow RJ-45 ports I can tell that they are the LAN ports.

--

I agree with jumpin68ny, on what you could do to fix that.

^^