Bundle Acceptance - install software?
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just upgraded our FIOS TV to more HD channels.  As part of that they provided us with a new bundle.

Now I'm not sure why I need a new bundle, especially since it increases my internet speed (which is fast enough for what I do now, anyway). 

OK, so I follow the instructions in my email and click on a link.  Now FIOS wants to install a FireFox extension - and then run FireFox as Administrator!   There is no way IT will allow me to install such an extension and run FireFox as Administrator.

So I called them up.  They said the other choice is to use Internet Explorer and load an ActiveX control.  No way that can happen, either.

Then the rep suggested I do it AT THE PUBLIC LIBRARY!  The guys running the computers for the library aren't idiots.  They don't allow users to come in and install ActiveX controls.

So why do I need to install software which needs Administor privileges, just to accept a bundle?  I didn't have to do that when I installed FIOS a couple of months ago.  

{please keep your posts courteous}  I'm sure some of the IT newsletters such as eWeek and Information Week are going to have a heyday with this.

Message Edited by KaLin on 12-22-2008 07:50 PM
Re: Bundle Acceptance - install software?
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I'm guessing that the sales rep may have included the security bundle which would require you to accept an agreement.  If you already have virus protection and don't feel you need their security package, then I believe you won't have to worry about it.  As long as you don't accept the package, they can't bill you for it.

As for the upgrade...good choice on the Hd package.  The added speeds are a bonus in my opinion.

0 Likes
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply, but I believe the security bundle is separate - at least it was with my original installation.  Supposedly it was just the extra HD channels and the faster internet.  And as I said before - I really don't care about the latter.  But it was supposedly part of the bundle.

And there was nothing said about a security bundle in any of the conversations I've had with them - if there would have been, I would have told them I do not want nor need it.

I will give them a call again in the morning to find out, though. 

And the more I investigate this, the more I think I've been sold a bill of goods.  

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I can't imagine your being sold a bill of goods, however I would check with them and have them verify your order.  Let us know how you make out.

Regards,

Walt

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

ummm...  The link is actually for a Bundle AGREEMENT  which is where the customer agrees to the terms (basically a specific length of time to keep paying for the services) in order to receive the bundled packages (services) at the lowest price.  

If, when you are trying to accept the terms of service (TOS) agreement, your computer gives you a pop-up advising that the current settings on your computer are such that in order for you to complete the transaction you must first install an extention   AND then it notifies you that in order for you TO install said extention you must first have administrative permissions on that computer (be using an administrator account) TO install\make the changes on that computer, -and you cannot do that, you then have to either get someone who does have such permissions on that computer to give your user account admin permissions, or get them to do this for you themselves, OR you could try using another browzer as suggested, but that, too would still need admin permissions to INSTALL \ make changes (if that other browzer did not already have the equivalent extension installed),  SO you could go to any other computer where you would have the needed-to-install-extensions-if-not-already-installed admin permissions (basically most personal, non-business provided computers run this way) and then log into your email and get the link and click on it there and then accept the TOS  and be done with it (takes only one or 2 clicks to complete the transaction after clicking on the link in the email).        OR my understanding is that the customer sales\support (not tech support) has the ability to accept your verbal acceptance of the TOS over the phone.  Call them. 

0 Likes
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

cjacobs001, please see my original post.

It is the Bundle AGREEMENT which is requiring me to install the software.  And that is the problem - WHY DO I NEED TO INSTALL SOFTWARE TO ACCEPT AN AGREEMENT?  No other company I know of expects you to do so.  

Yes, I know what I CAN do.  That isn't the problem.  But even if I had the ability, I would NOT do it.  But since you think it's OK, why not let me come over to your house, install unknown software on your computer, and accept the agreement?  Of course, if anything happens while I'm doing that, it's your problem, not mine.

And no, I was told the support person could NOT accept my acceptance over the phone.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I see where this is going... THis is simple to get around and I"ve done it many times when using my own laptop to activate a cusotmers service. 

First: accept the 2 pages of user agreements...allow it to download the installation portion of the program...If it ask you to select Aol, Yahoo, or Msn...choose "i'll decide later"...

Here's the important part...when you come to the screen that gives you the option Standard or Custom Installation..."Select Custom"   Now uncheck every option...Personally I would leave the optimizer selected.     By unchecking everything you will install NOTHING on your computer....FInish the installation

0 Likes
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now this is interesting...

I don't remember any choices like you mentioned - as soon as I accepted the TOS, it wanted to download the FF extension.  I did download and install it, but could not give admin privileges to FF, and it wouldn't let me go any further.  So I removed the extension and restarted FF.

But my memory has been known to be faulty (actually, my memory's perfect - but the recall can be faulty 🙂 ) so I went back in there this morning to try your suggestion.

This time it presented me with the ToS, which I accepted. It came up with the screen "Accept TOS selection complete" and no further.  Everything else is disabled,   I can't click on Next, nor get to the Configure Service (which I don't know if I need) or Download Software (which I don't want, obviously).

So I guess I have it accepted, but don't now for sure (BTW - clicking on the link a second time again gives me the Accept ToS screen).

I really don't know if I have the bundle price or not.  

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I guess the only way to verify the bundle price would be to contact the order dept or just wait till your bill arrives and discuss with them what you were expecting.

I'm curious, are you running an apple computer?  I think Verizon is working out the kinks with using Firefox.

0 Likes
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3
No, I'm running Windows.  But I prefer a reliable browser.
0 Likes