Buying 50/50 Internet, I want to use my own Asus RT-A68U Router
thesavagetony

As the title suggests, I'm moving into a new place and can get FIOS. I have my own Asus RT-A68U router which I love. I'm ordering 50/50 internet, no TV or phone. 

1) When I order, do I need to call them to tell them that I want to use my own router? Am I forced to rent/buy their router to have in case I need to troubleshoot in the future?

2) If I have to choose "Rent" online when I order my FIOS package, can I have the tech set up Ethernet instead of Coax in my house and return their router, avoiding the fee?

Thank you!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Buying 50/50 Internet, I want to use my own Asus RT-A68U Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would second the recommendation to buy a FiOS router. eBay has them for inexpensive, or you can buy a router from Verizon.

At the time of install, you have two options. The first is, if you run CAT5e or CAT6 cabling before the install, you can ask the technician to provision the service on Ethernet. From that point, you can either work with him to hook up the ASUS or let him finish the install using a FiOS router. If you go the FiOS router route, swapping the router is as easy as leaving the FiOS router off for two hours, and then connecting the ASUS. You will need to set the ASUS for DHCP.

The second option is to let the install be done over Coax. Once the installation is done, you may run your own cabling to the ONT. You will have to call Verizon at that point and ask them to move the ONT to Ethernet, and then from there connect up the ASUS. Let them guide you in hooking up the FiOS router. From there, just disconnect the FiOS router for two hours and then connect your ASUS.

The other third option, is to just order 150Mbps or faster for a month. Verizon will do all the work for an Ethernet install. Then, wait two hours with the FiOS router off and connect up the ASUS afterwards.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

They will not set you up on ethernet. You have to pay for that, and even then good luck getting them to do it. Unless you run the ethernet yourself. Good luck on the erratic upload speeds, they can't provide the advertised upload speed anymore. You have to use the verizon router if you have FIOS TV and have a set top box. You can piggy back the verizon router on your main router if you're connected to ethernet. If you have FIOS TV the router is free since it is required for TV service. I think it is now a rental if you just have internet. Not sure if they will let you order service without a router in there somewhere

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Nonsense.  Anything greater than 100 Mbps requires ethernet, so order something higher than 100.

0 Likes
thesavagetony

What about all of the various guides on the internet explaining how to do so? I have plenty of ethernet cable to use myself. I have my own $250 router that I'd like to use that has much better features than the one they provide, so why would I settle for that? 

I don't need or want TV, so according to every guide I can find, I dont need Coax as TV is the service that needs it, not the ethernet. 

My question is if there's any way to get around having to buy their router AT ALL, as I don't really need or want it.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

No they will not do an install without a FIOS router.  What you are asking for is unsupported by FIOS.

I'd go buy a FIOS router on ebay to use for the initial install.  Once the install is done you can follow one of the guides on how to get your Asus going.  

I'd keep the FIOS router around in case you have any issues down the road, as if you call in with problems they will not support your Asus.

If you are going to drop your own ethernet, do it before the install.  The tech did a 50 install for me on ethernet.  All I had to do was ask, though I bet if it had gotten hard he would have gone to coax.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Another solution that works well for me and many other people is just double NAT your ASUS router behind your Verizon Actiontec.    The downside is that it makes port forwarding more complicated as well as using DynDNS and almost impossible to setup a VPN server on your LAN.  It will have minimal if any impact on the speed of your connection and having a double firewall does provide some additional protection.   Also the Actiontec router does have some nice features that neither ASUS or Merlin's tweaked version offers.   I particulary like the ability to controll port forwarding rules by time of day.   I only expose my FTP server to the Internet for a short period of time on business days.

With this setup if you have a problem with your service you simplu connect directly connect to your Verizon supplied router and trouble shoot the issue with Verizon.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am pretty sure you can get Ethernet especially if you are ordering Internet only.

And you can use your own router (Verizon router is only needed for TV service).

Routers used to be free for TV service, but now you have to rent or buy one outright.

My suggestion is to call to order service and discuss with them.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would second the recommendation to buy a FiOS router. eBay has them for inexpensive, or you can buy a router from Verizon.

At the time of install, you have two options. The first is, if you run CAT5e or CAT6 cabling before the install, you can ask the technician to provision the service on Ethernet. From that point, you can either work with him to hook up the ASUS or let him finish the install using a FiOS router. If you go the FiOS router route, swapping the router is as easy as leaving the FiOS router off for two hours, and then connecting the ASUS. You will need to set the ASUS for DHCP.

The second option is to let the install be done over Coax. Once the installation is done, you may run your own cabling to the ONT. You will have to call Verizon at that point and ask them to move the ONT to Ethernet, and then from there connect up the ASUS. Let them guide you in hooking up the FiOS router. From there, just disconnect the FiOS router for two hours and then connect your ASUS.

The other third option, is to just order 150Mbps or faster for a month. Verizon will do all the work for an Ethernet install. Then, wait two hours with the FiOS router off and connect up the ASUS afterwards.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So why buy a router?

Why not rent for 1 month and then return?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I am not entirely versed on how Verizon currently handles renting of the FiOS routers,  Verizon has historically made the FiOS router mandatory. By buying, you can avoid any mandatory rental fee Verizon tries to push, and also sell off the router if you don't want to keep it around for support. I will let someone else who is more versed in the rental policy indicate whether or not the "one or the other" bit holds true.

0 Likes