Bypass Fios Quantum Router and keep Moca
Thecow
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not sure if this is possible, but here’s what I want to do. I am getting rid of Fios cable offerings and moving to internet only next week. The ONT is on the out of the house, so it’s not a readily accessible to use the Ethernet out connection. I would ideally like to continue to use it connected to my houses coax. So I can put the Fios Quantum router wherever I want, but I dont want to use the Fios quantum as my router, I want to use my eero pro as the router, I also want to continue to use and have my other eero pro connected via mocha bridge devices. Is there a way to do this?

Worst case I could probably put the quantum in the basement in between where the coax come into the house and where it is distributed to the rest of the house via a mocha 2.0 splitter. And then use mocha bridges at each connection point, but that would require buy more mocha bridges and not putting one of my Eeros where I would prefer, because one would have to be at the coax splitter.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bypass Fios Quantum Router and keep Moca
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Thecow wrote:

If it requires “requires Ethernet from the ONT” does that mean they will have to run Ethernet from my ONT to where the Fios Router is located?

They will run ethernet to where ever you want it but the techs do not fish walls and will go through floors. They will probably need to upgrade your ont as well. If you can go outside and open it up and tell us the model we can tell you for sure.

@Thecow wrote:

also, if I were to leave the quantum router as the router what is the max throughput over Moca to other Moca devices?  

The quantum router is MoCA 2.0 so you'll get up to 450 mbps with MoCA adapters. Both of the adapters you listed before are 1.1 so they will only get 175 mbps on them. You will have to update your MoCA devices. You can get a couple verizon fna's which are $55 and are bonded 2.0 which can run up to a gig. They can connect to the eeros to provide a wired backhaul.

@Thecow wrote:

it is sounding like my best option if I want to use my current wiring is to have my main Eero in the basement where the current coax splitter is and then figure out which coax goes to the rooms I want the other Eeros and get bonded mocas. Is this correct?

That will probably be the easiest setup. The eero in the basement will connect to the ont via ethernet to the wan port then the lan port can connect to an fna and coax from the splitter will also connect to the fna. Then you can place fna's in the other room where the eero aps will be located. In this setup you will be getting rid of the quantum router completely. 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What's your subscription speed? If you have over 100Mbps subscription, using the ONT MoCA port is impossible.

Otherwise, please list all of your available MoCA adapters and network equipment, and also what wiring is available at what location, so the users here could better assist you.

If you have to use coax between the ONT and the router for speeds over 100Mbps, you need to put a pair of Bonded 2.0 MoCA adapters between the ONT and the router, costing another $170. (ONT <--> ECB [--] ECB <--WAN> Router <LAN--> * )

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT is outdoors and the OP can't run any cables to it.  The OP would have to find an outdoor location with power for a MoCA adapter.  That is very unlikely.  Further, most of these adapters are not designed for outdoor use and wouldn't last long in the temperature and humidity extremes.

If the OP can figure out how to run cables to the ONT, they could run Ethernet and this problem would be solved.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want to use the eero as the primary router then you need to get ethernet from the ont. Unfortunately there is no way around it. 

Thecow
Enthusiast - Level 2

To be clear the ONT is on the outside of the house.  It comes into the basement via coax to a coax moca 2 8way splitter. This distributes to rooms all over the house.  In one room I have a Fios quantum router, in another I have a MI424WR-GEN3I, and in the final place I have a WCB300N. WiFi is turned off on all. Currently the quantum router is functioning as the router. The intention was to get a Gig connection. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you use that existing coax wire to fish an ethernet cable? I hope you can...

I am not intend to disappoint you, none of the MoCA devices you listed is capable of transmitting gigabit on MoCA. To take full advantage of your gigabit subscription on MoCA, you need to upgrade the MoCA adapters to at least Bonded MoCA 2.0, such as Verizon/Actiontec ECB5240M, $55 each.

Can you maybe upload some pictures so the users here can understand the structure around your ONT better?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again, as noted over on DSLreports, the WAN MoCA link from the ONT goes only to the router.  The router creates a separate WAN MoCA link.  It is the router's MoCA LAN that is shared with all the other MoCA devices, not the ONT's signal.

You mention you are planning to upgrade to Gigabit.  This changes things.  Gigibat requires Ethernet from the ONT.  No exceptions.

If you currently have a BPON ONT, Verizon will have to send a tech to upgrade it.  Have them move the ONT inside, and your problems are solved.

Thecow
Enthusiast - Level 2

If it requires “requires Ethernet from the ONT” does that mean they will have to run Ethernet from my ONT to where the Fios Router is located?

also, if I were to leave the quantum router as the router what is the max throughput over Moca to other Moca devices?  

it is sounding like my best option if I want to use my current wiring is to have my main Eero in the basement where the current coax splitter is and then figure out which coax goes to the rooms I want the other Eeros and get bonded mocas. Is this correct?

thanks for all the help

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Thecow wrote:

They will run ethernet to where ever you want it but the techs do not fish walls and will go through floors. They will probably need to upgrade your ont as well. If you can go outside and open it up and tell us the model we can tell you for sure.

@Thecow wrote:

The quantum router is MoCA 2.0 so you'll get up to 450 mbps with MoCA adapters. Both of the adapters you listed before are 1.1 so they will only get 175 mbps on them. You will have to update your MoCA devices. You can get a couple verizon fna's which are $55 and are bonded 2.0 which can run up to a gig. They can connect to the eeros to provide a wired backhaul.

@Thecow wrote:

That will probably be the easiest setup. The eero in the basement will connect to the ont via ethernet to the wan port then the lan port can connect to an fna and coax from the splitter will also connect to the fna. Then you can place fna's in the other room where the eero aps will be located. In this setup you will be getting rid of the quantum router completely. 

Thecow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks!  If I go this last router do I need a separate bonded Moca for each coax run? Or is one bonded Moca connected to the splitter sufficient with a bonded Moca at the other two endpoints?

also, my current ONT is an ONT1000GT4-OPT-VZ

0 Likes