Re: Bypass Fios Quantum Router and keep Moca
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Thecow wrote:

Thanks!  If I go this last router do I need a separate bonded Moca for each coax run? Or is one bonded Moca connected to the splitter sufficient with a bonded Moca at the other two endpoints?

also, my current ONT is an ONT1000GT4-OPT-VZ

You will need one with the router in the basement connected to the splitter and the eero lan port. Then you will only need them where you want to connect your eero access points. The fna's also have 4 ethernet ports so you can hardwire other devices as well. It sounds like you'll probably need 3. 

Also the 1000gt4 is already gig compatible so you will just need the tech to run the ethernet.

Thecow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! This is tremendously helpful. Since they have bring an Ethernet cable into the house the basement will be the easiest for them (also the location where the coax comes in now) and the best location for me. 

does it matter what bonded Moca devices I get?  Are these the best ones: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/. Or are any from Amazon fine?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

All Verizon/Actiontec MoCA adapters should work, except WECB620x, i.e. WCB6200Q and ECB6200Q, which have firmware compatibility issues with G3100.

Otherwise, if you are not planning on having multiple MoCA networks on the same coax line, that is setting them to different Coax channels, Verizon ECB5240M is the cheapest option for its given functionalities.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
snortbsd
Enthusiast - Level 2

if you have coax outlets in your rooms. you can just use extra fios router (quantum included) as moca+ethernet switch. that is what i did for my house. in quantum configuration, go to "my network", then "network connections", just turn off (disable) "broadband connection (ethernet/coax)". in the section of "network/(home/office)", turn off dhcp server and wireless lan. for management, since main router usually is 192.168.1.1, then you can assign another ip address to those bridge/ethernet switch, something like 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3.. etc. with this setup, you can easily reuse coax outlets in you house.  

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you snortbsd for your contribution.

There will be an interactive widget available in the community that shows users how to configure what you have described very soon.