CAT 5 Splitter
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does any one know if the CAT 5 port on a Verizon router can be split into two paths? I recently puchased a CAT 5 splitter from Radio Shack and inserted into my Verizon Actiontec MI42, Rev 1 Router. The result was that my Windows Network Connection dropped off completely and I had no FIOS connction whatsoever. After I removed the splitter and rebooted my computer, I was able to get my network connection back up to normal FIOS speed.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: CAT 5 Splitter
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

@VUser50 wrote:

Are you talking about a switch? If so, put it behind the router instead of in front of it.

No.  No switch.  I bought a  Radio Shack Gigaware Cat 5E Splitter/Combiner. 

I found the answer to my own question.  My Verizon Router has several CAT 5  ports.  I'll just use my Verion FIOS router to split my FIOS signal into two computers at the same time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

You can only use one side of the splitter at a time.  The device connected to the other side must be turned off.

To use 2 or more devices at the same time you need a router.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Are you talking about a switch? If so, put it behind the router instead of in front of it.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bbinnard wrote:

You can only use one side of the splitter at a time.  The device connected to the other side must be turned off.

To use 2 or more devices at the same time you need a router.

You don't need a router, although one can be used.  A network switch is usually cheaper and much easier to use.  Most network switches have nothing that needs to be configured.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I second getting a switch. They take one port and branch it out to several ports. Most are plug-and-play, just be sure to only connect one cable to the switch and the router. Two or more connections create loops. Same with connecting the switch to itself; just don't do that.

As far as CAT5e switches/splitters are concerned, they do sell these, but yes they are problematic and I don't even know why they are on the market. Switches can cause handshaking and negotiation issues. Splitters will reduce your maximum bandwidth to 10Mbps up and down, or less depending on whether or not you manage to get Full Duplex or not. If one of two pairs of the two bundles in a CAT5e cable being split are bad, one PC will not get a link what so ever.

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

@VUser50 wrote:

I found the answer to my own question.  My Verizon Router has several CAT 5  ports.  I'll just use my Verion FIOS router to split my FIOS signal into two computers at the same time.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kilowatt wrote:

@VUser50 wrote:

It actually has 4 ports.  If you ever need more than 4 then you would add a switch connected to one of the ports and and add the the new devices to the switcg.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kilowatt wrote:

@VUser50 wrote:

This splitter/combiner is not a very useful device.  ITs for combining two ports running one line and then seperating to two ports again.

0 Likes