COAX VS ETHERNET CABLE
Ptnguyen
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just recently moved into a new house and the new verizon fios set up here is alitte weird compare to my old place. Instead of a coax cable running from outside verizon box into my verizon fios router, I have an ethernet cable instead.
I noticed a huge dramatic decrease in speed but im not sure if the ethernet cable is the cause of the problem. I have a 50/50 mb/s package, but for some reason my download never surpass 300kb/s.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: COAX VS ETHERNET CABLE
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ptnguyen wrote:

I just recently moved into a new house and the new verizon fios set up here is alitte weird compare to my old place. Instead of a coax cable running from outside verizon box into my verizon fios router, I have an ethernet cable instead.
I noticed a huge dramatic decrease in speed but im not sure if the ethernet cable is the cause of the problem. I have a 50/50 mb/s package, but for some reason my download never surpass 300kb/s.

Are you testing that speed wire or wifi?  Does your tv service work OK? Ethernet connection from ont to router in my view is preferable to coax.  Sounds like there is some issue with the ethernet connection.  As it has just been installed I would ask tech support why it's not working as spec.

You could also try releasing the router's ip address and then connecting your machine directly to the ont and then testing the speeds.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have TV service? If so, call support and ask them to provision Internet via cable.
You will need a Verizon rotuer to do this.

If you only have Internet, it is possible that ethernet cable is bad.

Can you try a short cable to connect router to ONT and see how performance is.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ptnguyen wrote:

Are you testing that speed wire or wifi?  Does your tv service work OK? Ethernet connection from ont to router in my view is preferable to coax.  Sounds like there is some issue with the ethernet connection.  As it has just been installed I would ask tech support why it's not working as spec.

You could also try releasing the router's ip address and then connecting your machine directly to the ont and then testing the speeds.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes