COAX to Ethernet?
pagleaso

My VZ technician installed COAX to my wiring closet after our home renovation. Before this was cabled with a Ethernet RJ45 connector. Anyways, I am trying to reinstall a transparent security device in front of the Verizon Router which I had installed and working before the renovation. This device will only accommodate ethernet and not coax. How do I convert from coax to ethernet?

0 Likes
Re: COAX to Ethernet?
iDShaDoW703
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did the VZ technician remove the old Ethernet cable that was going from the ONT to your wiring closet?

Run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your security device and then call Verizon and ask that they change the provisioning for your Internet to Ethernet.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@pagleaso wrote:

My VZ technician installed COAX to my wiring closet after our home renovation. Before this was cabled with a Ethernet RJ45 connector. Anyways, I am trying to reinstall a transparent security device in front of the Verizon Router which I had installed and working before the renovation. This device will only accommodate ethernet and not coax. How do I convert from coax to ethernet?

You could use an Actiontec ECB2500 MoCA adapter to convert the coax feed to an Ethernet output:

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500C/dp/B008C1JC4O

The ECB2500 is plug-and-play.  Coax in.  Ethernet out.  No configuration necessary.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

You could use an Actiontec ECB2500 MoCA adapter to convert the coax feed to an Ethernet output:

Hmm, that may not work in this situation.  The OP said the security device needs to be installed between the ONT and the router.  With FiOS, there are two data networks on the coax.  One for the WAN and one for the LAN.  I believe the ECB2500 connects to the LAN, not the WAN.  The WAN connection is used only for ONT <-> Router data.

If the OP's security device really does need to be inserted between the router and the ONT, then an Ethernet connection from the ONT is required.

I am curious as to why the security device needs to be in the WAN path.  It seems a bit odd to me.

Good Luck.

0 Likes