COAX wire and a splitter to hook up FIOS
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3
Is there any recommendation for a COAX wire and a splitter to hook up FIOS? I need to rebuild existing wiring but I want to be sure to use correct piece of a hardware. Thanks
0 Likes
Re: COAX wire and a splitter to hook up FIOS
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the coax needs to be RG6   NOT  RG59.

As for the splitter, you want to avoid splitters if at all possible. If you do need a splitter, it needs to be a Bi-directional splitter NOT a uni-directional splitter. Now this is not easy to come by, this is not something that you are just going to run down to radio shack and get. Most generic splitters are uni-directional so you have to be careful when looking at them. But if you can avoid splitters in the first place all the better

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Re: splitters

A few of thoughts:

1) as spacedebrismark said, the splitter needs to be bi-directional because the STBs need to talk back to the router. Any splitter(s) also should cover the frequency range from 5 MHz to 1000 MHz. The splitters that Verizon uses, at least the ones I have gotten, are made by PDI and are called "Mega Splitters."

2) You want as few splitters in your network as posssible, and you want as few splits on the splitter you get as you need (ie, don't get a 6-way splitter when a 2-way  or 3-way or whatever will meet your needs). And if you do get a splitter with more outputs than you need, I have seen recommendations to get terminators to put on the unused outputs (I don't know if that is really necessary or not).

3) If you see a Verizon truck in your neighborhood you might ask the tech if he will give you one. I have had success with that, and I have also gone to the local Verizon store and asked and they gave me one. Never hurts to ask, you might save time and money, and get it done quicker.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Home Depot has only RG-6. Any idea where I can get RG-5?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
RG6 is the one you want
0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3
Ohh, my mistake 😉
0 Likes