Cablecard, ONT, and Gigabit service...
cjldad1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello everyone, hoping to get some clarity on possibly upgrading my setup.  

I currently have their Select TV package with 75 mpbs internet and phone..

Just went out of contract and I'm looking to renew with a better package.  They are offering a Preferred package with gigabit and phone.  They are pushing their quantum gateway and a fee to upgrade the internet, since I'm sure someone has to come out and run a piece of cat5..  I'm trying to avoid that all together.  

I'm currently running their Actiontec MI424WR Rev I with the wifi turned off and using my Asus router in AP mode for wifi in the house.  Everything in the house is wired ethernet except for items that can't be.  (Phones, thermostat, etc.) I have one cablecard and no STB's, so I don't really need the gateway/router at all if I'm understanding correctly..  I could just have my Asus router plugged straight in to the ethernet port on my desktop ONT (i-211m-k) once I ask them to convert me to ethernet only..  

Any down side for me doing it this way?  I know if I add STB's in the future I'll want the gateway to act as the middle man for IP connectivity for the STB's.  

Should I go ahead and convert to ethernet with my plan now then upgrade to the new package to avoid the fees and them trying to shove a G1100 rental on me?

Thanks for your insight!

0 Likes