Camera won't connect to wifi
tlayne33

Hello,

I just got my new Fios router.  Any idea why my security camera won't connect?  Everything else is fine and when I call the camera company they reference "B mode".  I know little to nothing about a router and I'm lost! Any help would be great!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Camera won't connect to wifi
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably means 802.11b.  If so definitely must connect to 2.4Ghz band.  Certain performance options must not be enabled as they would not allow 802.11b mode devices to connect..  Which router?  Letting your peers here know which camera might help as well.

e.g. From the Actiontec MR424WR rev I manual

802.11b/g/n Mode
This option allows the user to select the wireless communication standard
compatible with the devices to be connected on the wireless network from the
drop-down list. Options include Compatibility (802.11b, g, and n devices can
connect) Legacy (only 802.11b and g devices can connect), and Performance
(only 802.11n devices can join).

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@tlayne33 wrote:

Hello,

I just got my new Fios router.  Any idea why my security camera won't connect?  Everything else is fine and when I call the camera company they reference "B mode".  I know little to nothing about a router and I'm lost! Any help would be great!

You don’t say what camera make. Basically it might need to be placed on 2.4 ghz instead of 5 GHz if you access the camera via its IP address you should be able to activate it. 

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably means 802.11b.  If so definitely must connect to 2.4Ghz band.  Certain performance options must not be enabled as they would not allow 802.11b mode devices to connect..  Which router?  Letting your peers here know which camera might help as well.

e.g. From the Actiontec MR424WR rev I manual

802.11b/g/n Mode
This option allows the user to select the wireless communication standard
compatible with the devices to be connected on the wireless network from the
drop-down list. Options include Compatibility (802.11b, g, and n devices can
connect) Legacy (only 802.11b and g devices can connect), and Performance
(only 802.11n devices can join).

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Worth pointing out that connecting ANY 802.11b devices to a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network will handicap the Wi-Fi performance to 802.11b speeds. 4-6Mbps is the maximum the wireless connection will operate at realisticially.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I meant 2.4ghz not 2.4mhz in my post.  All the warnings about poorer perfomance apply.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

I meant 2.4ghz not 2.4mhz in my post.  All the warnings about poorer perfomance apply.

Amazingly I have found today mist premium camera setups use either direct coaxial connection using electricity and setup to a 1 tb. Or more DVR device. I opted for a wireless solution as to not have to drill holes all over the home.

my cameras connect at the AC network, but costs much more than the direct connect cameras and my video and sound is in the cloud secure. 

The older wireless cameras used the lower B/G/N and in some setups had to have a dedicated IP address to function properly. Once this was setup the cameras stayed connected since their resource was singular on your IP address allocation. No movement to other ip addresses and this is the way most new thermostat and door bells and security systems work.

i have known that my neighbors who use ADT have constant camera loss due to being setup wirelessly. In fact the lady across the street could tell you to go hardwired.

0 Likes
Me4u

0 Likes
Me4u

Netvue

0 Likes