Can FIOS G1100 Router Be Used Outside USA?
Akash1

Greetings,

I was using FiOS in USA but recently moved to India and using local Internet service. They provided their modem and router but I want to use Quantum Router G1100 as it is better in terms of technicals and range etc. 

Howeverm even after connecting it correctly through Ethernet cable and even resetting the router many times, Internet light is Red only. I had chat with verizon guy and he mentined that the router can be used only in USA. As I bought it from Verizon (instead of renting), I want to use it as well.

As per the agent "There is a specific serial number/firmware version on the router that is meant to be used only inside the usa."

I am wondering if there is any way to unlock it geographically so the router  can be used anywhere in the world or any Firmware (even third party), which can be installed on existing one which will allow it to use router in India. Please suggest if someone has done so already. Thanks.

Regards,

Akash

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can FIOS G1100 Router Be Used Outside USA?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The locks have to do with where the router is certified for use. Wireless equipment, similar to computer equipment, has to go through regulatory approval before it can be sold in a country. The USA has this governed by the FCC, whereas other countries like Canada follow some general FCC rules, but have their own regulatory bodies. 

The region locking on routers has to do with the fact that certain regions support certain wireless channels, or have certain requirements. This is especially true with 5Ghz wireless, where the use of certain 5Ghz channels is either prohibited, or is restricted in terms of power levels, or whether it is allowed for indoor and/or outdoor use.

Here's a nice article explaining this a bit more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Each router is also programmed to broadcast a country code as well. For example, the United States is country code "1." This tells client devices what regional channel and power settings should be used. Taking a US router to Europe, for example, will cause problems for others, and will definitely draw attention whether or not you're broadcasting within the local restrictions.

In regards to conforming to certain channels, the reason why many devices which are meant to be portable, like MiFis, don't support DFS channels, is due to the fact that they are designed to be able to connect to roaming networks in other nations. A MiFi will also search for nearby networks, and attempt to connect to a mobile network before enabling the Wireless radio, in order to gauge what sort of regulatory environment it must operate under. A home router isn't meant to be moved from place to place, let alone leave it's regulated service area. 

On a final note regarding the firmware - the FCC requires many routers safeguard against the ability for third party firmware to manipulate or unlock blocked channels. As such, the country a radio is set to operate in and can understand, would often be coded into the baseband of the radio. This means that no matter what firmware is loaded, the radio won't be able to be adjusted off of the US regulatory zone. You can use software/firmware settings to block certain channels or to adjust power, but this will only get you so far. Especially if you need to be mindful of TPC/DFS regulations.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

It would seem the router is locked to Verizon Fios. Most commercially purchased routers like Netgear or linksys of Asus can be used elsewhere. Now going from country to country I cannot say if even they will work because of security laws that certain electronics cannot be sold or used in those countries.

you would be far better to purchase a router where you are located because then you will know it’s compatible.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just out of pure curiousity, how are you connecting the G1100 to Ethernet? I'm assuming your connecting it to the white colored WAN port, correct?

Also, where does the Ethernet cable come from? Is your Internet service in India using something like a DSL modem? 

Although I've never tested it in person, I doubt the router really checks for geographic location from my own tests. A picture of your current Internet setup would be helpful to troubleshoot!

jonjones1
Legend

@JustinGwrote:

Although I've never tested it in person, I doubt the router really checks for geographic location from my own tests. A picture of your current Internet setup would be helpful to troubleshoot!

It really boils down to if the technology (router) is able to function in another country.

i have a friend who lives in the UK and he has another home in Spain and when he was over here visiting the HP Printer he purchased at Best Buy did not function in either location. He did contact support when he returned home and he had to install different software to have it operate.

Many router manufacturing companies state on the websites if devices work or even can be shipped to other countries outside the USA or Canada. I could be wrong, but I don’t think India or Pakistan are included in those allowed countries.

0 Likes
Akash1

Yes. I had chat with Verizon guy and he mentioned that the Router is locked to be used only in USA. That is sad actually. I am now finding some Third Party Firmware which can remove all default settings and any network or geography lock from router. Pls suggest if you are aware of any such firmware. Thanks.

0 Likes
Akash1

Hi,

Yes. It is connected through modem and then White WAN port of the router. With this, all lights are white which means working but only Internet Light (Globe sign) is red means no Internet. 

I will try to post picture of network but it is simple like Internet line is connected to Modem and form modem, through Ethernet cable, it is connected to Wireless Router. 

0 Likes
Akash1

Yeah. I did not see anything related with Network lock or geography lock is mentioned on router or it's user guide, but this is the case actually. However, I am sure that there will be some software/ firmware to install which will make the router unlocked for any network or location. Need to find out that.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Akashwrote:

Yeah. I did not see anything related with Network lock or geography lock is mentioned on router or it's user guide, but this is the case actually. However, I am sure that there will be some software/ firmware to install which will make the router unlocked for any network or location. Need to find out that.

So it was exactly like I told you. I was pretty sure that was the case.

just purchase one from where you are and no messing around with the router will be necessary. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The locks have to do with where the router is certified for use. Wireless equipment, similar to computer equipment, has to go through regulatory approval before it can be sold in a country. The USA has this governed by the FCC, whereas other countries like Canada follow some general FCC rules, but have their own regulatory bodies. 

The region locking on routers has to do with the fact that certain regions support certain wireless channels, or have certain requirements. This is especially true with 5Ghz wireless, where the use of certain 5Ghz channels is either prohibited, or is restricted in terms of power levels, or whether it is allowed for indoor and/or outdoor use.

Here's a nice article explaining this a bit more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Each router is also programmed to broadcast a country code as well. For example, the United States is country code "1." This tells client devices what regional channel and power settings should be used. Taking a US router to Europe, for example, will cause problems for others, and will definitely draw attention whether or not you're broadcasting within the local restrictions.

In regards to conforming to certain channels, the reason why many devices which are meant to be portable, like MiFis, don't support DFS channels, is due to the fact that they are designed to be able to connect to roaming networks in other nations. A MiFi will also search for nearby networks, and attempt to connect to a mobile network before enabling the Wireless radio, in order to gauge what sort of regulatory environment it must operate under. A home router isn't meant to be moved from place to place, let alone leave it's regulated service area. 

On a final note regarding the firmware - the FCC requires many routers safeguard against the ability for third party firmware to manipulate or unlock blocked channels. As such, the country a radio is set to operate in and can understand, would often be coded into the baseband of the radio. This means that no matter what firmware is loaded, the radio won't be able to be adjusted off of the US regulatory zone. You can use software/firmware settings to block certain channels or to adjust power, but this will only get you so far. Especially if you need to be mindful of TPC/DFS regulations.

jonjones1
Legend

Gee I wish I “told him in less words that he could not use it out of the USA” wait I did 😀

0 Likes