Can I Replace or Extend the Fiber Optic Cable?
rebeccahaegele
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a cable that runs from the Verizon box outside of my house, comes into the basement corner  of the house, and plugs into the router.  Do I assume this is fiber optic cable?  This cable is about 3 ft long which is problematic in getting a good signal throughout my house.  I would like to move the router up one floor.  All the other cords and cables are long enough to do so.

My question is what is this cable called and can I replace it or extend it myself?  If so, is there any pertinent information I would need to know to do so such as part names and where to get them.  If not, how do I get a longer cable installed.

I am not tech savvy and grateful for any help. 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I Replace or Extend the Fiber Optic Cable?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@rebeccajeanne wrote:

Do I assume this is fiber optic cable?  

No.  The fiber optic cable attaches to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which is usually outside.

For speed tiers < 100Mbps, the installation is usually coax from the ONT to your router.

For speed tiers > 100Mbps, the installation is always ethernet from the ONT to your router.

If the cable from the ONT is indeed an ethernet cable, you can certainly replace it.

The ONT has a standard RJ45 jack which the other end of the cable is connected to.

You can confirm if you're connected  via ethernet in two ways.

1)  The WAN ETHERNET light on your router should be lit and the WAN coax light should be off.

2)  The ethernet cable should be connected to the white WAN port on the back of your router.

Since your ONT is outside, replacing the ethernet cable presents a couple of problems..

1)  When VZ installed the cable, they passed it through the wall, then sealed the opening with silicone.

You need to make sure you can fit a preterminated cable through that opening unless you're capable of terminating a cat5 cable yourself. 

2)  You need to reseal the opening with silicone.

An easier option is an RJ45 coupler.

http://www.amazon.com/Britta-Products-RJ45-Coupler-F-F/dp/B000BSLW8U

@rebeccajeanne wrote:

Can Verizon replace it for a longer cable?  

Yes, but they will charge you a truck roll to do so.  $88 or so.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope.  Its standard coax, usually RG6.  You cannot extend the fiber optic, but the rg6 is usually split at least once so that one goes to the router and others go to you TV's or STB's.  Note the internet over the Coax uses MOCA protocol.  MOCA devices can be used in other places for internet, or you can use the output (ethernet and wireless) out of the router for additional connections.

0 Likes
rebeccahaegele
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply. 

I do not believe I am talking about a coax cable, a coax cable has an attachment that screws into the router.  This is more like an ethernet cable that comes from the outdoor Verizon box directly to the router (no splitting), the inside attachment into the router looks  like an ethernet attachment, however I do not know what is at the other end in the Verizon box. 

Can Verizon replace it for a longer cable?  There has to be some way to get the router out of the corner of the basement. It seems you are saying there is no way to replace it? 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@rebeccajeanne wrote:

Do I assume this is fiber optic cable?  

No.  The fiber optic cable attaches to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which is usually outside.

For speed tiers < 100Mbps, the installation is usually coax from the ONT to your router.

For speed tiers > 100Mbps, the installation is always ethernet from the ONT to your router.

If the cable from the ONT is indeed an ethernet cable, you can certainly replace it.

The ONT has a standard RJ45 jack which the other end of the cable is connected to.

You can confirm if you're connected  via ethernet in two ways.

1)  The WAN ETHERNET light on your router should be lit and the WAN coax light should be off.

2)  The ethernet cable should be connected to the white WAN port on the back of your router.

Since your ONT is outside, replacing the ethernet cable presents a couple of problems..

1)  When VZ installed the cable, they passed it through the wall, then sealed the opening with silicone.

You need to make sure you can fit a preterminated cable through that opening unless you're capable of terminating a cat5 cable yourself. 

2)  You need to reseal the opening with silicone.

An easier option is an RJ45 coupler.

http://www.amazon.com/Britta-Products-RJ45-Coupler-F-F/dp/B000BSLW8U

@rebeccajeanne wrote:

Can Verizon replace it for a longer cable?  

Yes, but they will charge you a truck roll to do so.  $88 or so.

0 Likes
rebeccahaegele
Enthusiast - Level 2

You nailed it!  Thank you. 

It is a WAN Ethernet exactly as you described. Thank you for suggesting the RJ45 coupler.  That sounds very doable.  

I appreciate your help very much. 

0 Likes