Can I connect a second router to the coax cable.
chisq
Enthusiast - Level 1

In my house Verizon fios goes into a box and a coax cable comes out and splits in one direction towards a set top box and in another direction to an Actiontec M1424WR router. An eithernet cable connects the router to a computer. All is well. This works fine.

Now I want to install another computer next to the TV. It sits a long way from the Actiontec, wireless is flakey and i dread the idea of pulling a long cat5 cable through my attic to connect the computer to the Actiontec?

Will it work if I put a splitter on the end of the coax in the room with the tv, run one wire to the stb, and the other to a new router?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I connect a second router to the coax cable.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a second router ... you want to go to your favorite online retailer (like Amazon.com) and purchase an ActionTEC ECB2200 (also called an HME2200) MoCA Ethernet Adapter.    Plug and play and you're all set -- it will automatically link up over the Coax to your ActionTEC router and provide a LAN connection at the second location for you.

You can search the forums for the ECB2200 / HME2200 and you'll find numerous discussions on this device.

I use this in my home network setup and it works great.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a second router ... you want to go to your favorite online retailer (like Amazon.com) and purchase an ActionTEC ECB2200 (also called an HME2200) MoCA Ethernet Adapter.    Plug and play and you're all set -- it will automatically link up over the Coax to your ActionTEC router and provide a LAN connection at the second location for you.

You can search the forums for the ECB2200 / HME2200 and you'll find numerous discussions on this device.

I use this in my home network setup and it works great.

MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

You can use a second router (they're usually cheaper, around $25 instead of $75-100 for the HME, so thats what I did), but you have to configure the second one in a special way so it works as a bridge and doesn't try to overtake the other router. Instructions are at DSLReports website on their Verizon Fios wiki.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

Instructions mentioned

If you use another router, then you have to do the configurations at the link.

If you buy a MOCA bridge as suggested, then it's just plug and play and a lot easier to hook up. 

Pick your poison

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... if you're are comfortable with networking technologies and more importantly some of the unique complexities of the ActionTec routers, then a second router can effectively be turned into an ECB2200 by performing bridging functions.   But it requires specific configuration and is most certainly not plug and play.   The HME2200 as I mentioned and Hubrisnxs reinforces is literally "plug and play".   The cost difference for the ease of installation of the adapter is well worth the investment.

0 Likes
MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

If you can afford the HME, go that route, I just didn't want to spend $100 for one so i spent like 20min reconfiguring a 2nd router I got off ebay for $25, and it's worked fine ever since.

0 Likes
chisq
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I do know how to set up a bridge, but the plug and play option seems simpler. I appreciate the intelligent comments from all of you.

0 Likes
brh3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been using the Linksys PLE200 powerline network adapter for over 2 years now, still very happy with it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=linksys+%2B+ple200&wrapid=tlif129564786606210&um=1&ie...#

Regards,

Bjoern

0 Likes
fry2
Enthusiast - Level 2

can a wireless AP be instituted at this "location"?  ie -  coax to moca adapter to ethernet cable - ethernet cable into wan port on wireless router?  just trying to expand my wifi network...

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@fry wrote:

can a wireless AP be instituted at this "location"?  ie -  coax to moca adapter to ethernet cable - ethernet cable into wan port on wireless router?  just trying to expand my wifi network...

Absolutely.

The ethernet jack on the MOCA bridge is simply an extension of the LAN on the Actiontec.

A couple of advantages of using a second Actiontec over the ECB2200 is that an Actiontec will give you 4 LAN ports and you can also use it as a wireless access point.

0 Likes