Re: Can I create 2 Wireless Networks off of a FIOS Router?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cgcmgr wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.  However, my brother now wants to use the Verizon wireless router in his portion of the house.  So we will only be using the FIOS router (for him) and a D-Link Dir-655 for me. 

So instead of connecting 2 wireless routers to the FIOS router and turning off wireless on the FIOS router, there will only be 1 router connected to it.  However, instead of disabling wireless on the FIOS router, this time it will be enabled.  So is there anything different I would have to do to make this work or is still as simple as connecting my D-Link to the FIOS router?

Again the purpose is to have 2 networks in a 2-family house.  One network the FIOS router will handle and the other the D-Link will handle.  Is this possible?  What needs to be done to make this work?

Thanks,

Chris

You can connect the dlink to the VZ router either LAN -> Wan or LAN -> LAN

In the Lan - wan setup you would need to config your router to a static address on the 192.168.1 subnet and have your subnet and dhcp server be a different address e.g 192.168.2.- You will still be able to access all the other machines on your brother's subnet, he won't be able to access any of your machines.

IN the Lan - lan setup you would make your router a static address on the 192.168.1 subnet and turn of the dhcp service in the router you can still have your own ssid and password.  Both of you will be able to see each others devices.

cgcmgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try when I get it installed.

0 Likes
cgcmgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Guys,

One last question.  Would the following setup make any difference?  Instead of going from FIOS router to my D-Link router, can I do FIOS router to a switch and then my D-Link router? 

Thanks,

CHris

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

A switch would make absolutely no difference.

0 Likes
cgcmgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't think so

Thanks for all the help.

0 Likes
cgcmgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I finally got FIOS installed yesterday and followed the advise here.  I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet, sort of.  Sometimes I open my browser and type espn.com and bam it loads right in.  Other times it times out.  This happens with a lot of webpages.  I tried to go to Speedtest.net to do a speed test and the page wouldn't load.  I tried again later and it loaded up no problems.  I ran the test and it ran fine.  I tried it again a few minutes later and it timed out.   The same happened on my other computer and my smartphone and tablet also take a long time to get to a webpage. 

This morning things seemed a lot better on the 1st computer, but I really didn't have time to do much testing before work.

Just to clarify, my connection is FIOS router to a switch to the WAN port of my D-Link wireless router.  The computer is connected to a LAN port on the D-Link router.

In the D-Link router, under Internet Settings (WAN side of the router), I changed the IP address to Static and made it 192.168.1.2 so that it was on the same Subnet as the FIOS Gateway of 192.168.1.1.  I was asked to enter the Gateway here also so I entered 192.168.1.1.  In the FIOS router I changed the DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254 so that there wouldn't be any conflicts with my router set to 192.168.1.2.  Then under Network Settings (LAN side of the router) I changed the router IP address to 192.168.2.1 and set the DHCP range to 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.50.  I then went into my network settings on my computer and set the IP to static and used the IP of 192.168.2.51 so that it would be outside of the DHCP range.  The only thing I had trouble with is the DNS servers.  On the WAN side of the router I was asked to enter the DNS servers.  I entered something I got off the Internet for FIOS in my area (68.217.96.14 I think, not at home right now), but I wasn't able to check what the FIOS router was actually using (long story).  So it may be that the DNS servers set in the FIOS router are different than those set in my D-Link router and on my computer.  I asume they should all match. 

Do you think that the different DNS servers are causing the issue?  I'm thinking of using Google's servers and I'll test when I get home. 

Chris

0 Likes
cgcmgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

So everything is now working perfectly.  I want to thank everyone for their help.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@cgcmgr wrote:

So everything is now working perfectly.  I want to thank everyone for their help.

You can do just that by following the suggestions in my signature.  Continued good luck.

0 Likes