Can I create two separate wireless networks?
Arek

At this time I am using my own wireless router Netgear WNDR3700. Works well.

I would like to add second router (Dlink DIR825) but not as repeater or access point.

Can I connect both directly to to Cat 6 coming from OMT thru the Ethernet switch creating 2 separate networks?

With its own SSID's and use the second network to connect in the garage where my signal is week from the netgear. Is it possible?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I create two separate wireless networks?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Arek wrote:

I would like to add second router (Dlink DIR825) but not as repeater or access point.

Can I connect both directly to to Cat 6 coming from OMT thru the Ethernet switch creating 2 separate networks?

With its own SSID's and use the second network to connect in the garage where my signal is week from the netgear. Is it possible?

Somebody on this forum a few weeks back said this could be done.

If it can it would be a violation of your TOS as for it to work you would havve to be acquiring two dhcp addresses from the VZ network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Arek wrote:

If it can it would be a violation of your TOS as for it to work you would havve to be acquiring two dhcp addresses from the VZ network.

0 Likes
Arek

Thanks, tos states one router, one address. I will set it up as a repeater or access point disabling DHCP. Repeater will cut my speed down. I'm not sure if there is to many options possible with D-link DIR-825 running standard firmware.

Did anyone used Hawking Wireless Range Extender  HWREN1  300n ? Is only $69 at Costco online. I think Is a single band 2.4 and it will go up to 300Mbps

0 Likes
PGJK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tech support told me that installation of router downstram of ActionTec router does not violate TOS. It merely remove Verizon support & ActionTec's router from the loop for Internet services, and of course its no longer Verizon's problem should any problems arise on the installed router or it's network (CAUTION: this is done at your own risk). In theory that could be hardwired or wireless. Those services which retain connection from the ONT to Verizon's ActionTec router will similarly retain viable Verizon responsibility and FIOs support.

"The complaint was that Verizon's router wasn't suppling adequate connection speeds desired, so the recommendation was that someone could in fact install a router downstream ahead of the ActionTec one to supply the Internet / Intranet services and the ActionTec would maintain the FIOs TV and Telephone services. This non-usage of the ActionTec's router for the 'Internet' would mean disabling its features plus the wireless support as well (otherwise that would require obtaining a new address from Verizon). Maintaining these as a dual Internet connection &  utilizing both routers would be a bandwith issue as per Verizon, but running those services off a singular router is not (see below)..

The aforemention self-installed router also means that you are on your own with its configuration and its connections with respects to 'your' network. Verizon still maintains control of gateway connection at the ONT, so any connections upstream of this can be of your own choosing. ActionTec's router is already a dual purpose router and preconfigured and constructed for A) FIOs services, B) supply Network services and connection, so if one purpose is negated the other will still operate as intended.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PGJK wrote:

Tech support told me that installation of router downstram of ActionTec router does not violate TOS. It merely remove Verizon support & ActionTec's router from the loop for Internet services, and of course its no longer Verizon's problem should any problems arise on the installed router or it's network (CAUTION: this is done at your own risk). In theory that could be hardwired or wireless. Those services which retain connection from the ONT to Verizon's ActionTec router will similarly retain viable Verizon responsibility and FIOs support.

I don't think he's connecting his router to a VZ router.

I think he's suggesting connecting a switch directly to the ONT and then 2 routers to the switch.  That will give him 2 VZ DHCP addresses