Can I eliminate Verizon (Actiontec) WCB6200Q Network Extender and Coaxial cabling
Daredevil2

I recently removed my FiOS TV Service from my plan as I don't and haven't been using it.   The related Verizon FIOS TV box was returned to Verizon. 

My usage in my home internet services (Web browsing) and Media streaming - Video content and music content.  

Since I eliminated the FIOS TV Service and box, can I also eliminate Verizon (Actiontec) WCB6200Q Network Extender.  This device is located in my family room and it connected via Coaxial cable ultimately back to my 

Verizon 1-211M-L - Optical Network Terminal which is in my basement.  

I have a Toshiba Smart TV that I have connected to the Network Extender via ethernet cable. And my Smart TV is configured to use that connection. And I stream content from the Internet to the TV that way.

In my basement, my Verizon FIOS service comes in from there.  I have a  Verizon 1-211M-L - Optical Network Terminal with both a Coaxial cable and an ethernet cable connected to it that connect to a Verizon FIOS-G1100 - FiOS Quantum™ Gateway device in my basement.

As I stated My usage in my home is primarily web services and media streaming.

My laptop is Windows 10 and uses Wifi connectivity

My mobile devices are Apple and they all use Wifi connectivity.

Can I abandon the use of the network extender and the  Coaxial cabling and if so is there a guide to do this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Can I eliminate Verizon (Actiontec) WCB6200Q Network Extender and Coaxial cabling
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can remove the WCB6200Q if your WiFi coverage is sufficient and delivers your subscribed speed.

@Daredevil wrote:

it connected via Coaxial cable ultimately back to my 

Verizon 1-211M-L - Optical Network Terminal which is in my basement.  

Although WCB6200Q is physically connected to the ONT, it does not rely on the ONT for operation. WCB6200Q establishes a MoCA connection with G1100 through coax. If you still want to use WCB6200Q, the coax between G1100 and WCB6200Q needs to be preserved. That being said, you can disconnect the coax cable from the ONT.

0 Likes
Re: Can I eliminate Verizon (Actiontec) WCB6200Q Network Extender and Coaxial cabling
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The extender is providing Ethernet and WiFi in your family room.   If you find those useful, you'll want to keep it.

If you remove it, your TV will need to connect to the router via WiFi or Ethernet.  The WiFi from the router may not reach the family room.  You can test this by unplugging the extender and seeing how strong the signal is from the router.  If you want to keep the TV connected by Ethernet, you'll need to run an Ethernet cable from the TV to the router.  That will likely involve fishing walls.

If it were me, I'd keep the extender as it improves WiFi coverage and provides Ethernet to the TV.  Unless you're have a significant need to reduce cables and devices in your family room, I don't see any reason to remove it.