Can I have 2 Actiontec Router in a large house, to extend WiFi coverage
The_Frog

I have the main ONT arriving in the basement, a spliter has been intalled, and an ONT cable runs to the 3rd floor (our office), and another ONT cable runs into the media room on the 1st floor.

Unfortunately no Ethernet cable runs in a similar way.

The router being on the 3rd floor (with Wifi), the signal is not really strong on teh 1st floor. (farily large house).

I would like to add a second WiFi router, in the media room, so I can direct connect the kids' PS3, our receiver for Pandora radio, ... so I will not be dependent on a weak WiFi on 1st floor, and secure strong signal in the entire house.

Can this work ? How can I do this ?

0 Likes
Re: Can I have 2 Actiontec Router in a large house, to extend WiFi coverage
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You want an ActionTec HME2200 (also called ECB2200).   This is a MoCA ethernet adapter.   One side is coax, the other is ethernet.   You attach it to the same cable plant as your router and it will automatically pair up with the router and provide you with connectivity thru the router to the Internet.   No configuration necessary.   Works like a champ.

You can get them online from the likes of Amazon or other e-tailers and they run about $80 (you need only one -- you can buy them in pairs to use them like a long ethernet cable over coax, but you don't need that since the router includes a MoCA adapter internally -- it's how the STB's talk to the internet over Coax).

The adapter is a single port device -- if you need more ports, simply buy an inexpensive switch (not a router) and connect it to the adapter.

The_Frog

Hey Lasagna,

this sounds like a plan. But just to make sure, you're saying that 

1. I should leave the FIOS Router on the Third Floor
  2. On the First Floor I should had this ActionTec HMe 2200 (and potentially an ethernet swtich)
Now, what it does do is provide a stronger WiFi signal on the First floor. But should I understand that to fix this issue you would then recommend to plug in a WiFi router in place of the inexpensive switch ? 
Thx
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct.  The ECB2200 only extends the ethernet connection -- not the wireless -- view it as if it were another LAN port directly attached to the router.   If you were to want, instead of a switch, you could install a second access point (or inexpensive consumer wireless router) at that location to give you a second access point in the house.

This is the exact setup that I have ... router is in the basement (I have several systems attached to it directly), an ECB2200 is installed on the second floor (actually shares and outlet via a splitter with a STB as well) and to it is attached a Belkin Wireless-N router which is configured as an access point, to the Belkin I have attached a run of ethernet cable which runs into my home office where I have a switch with a computer, VoIP phone, and printer attached amongst other things.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

A cheaper approach might be to go to ebay and buy a second hand Actiontec MI424. 

Connect it via a splitter on the first floor with it in bridge mode and dhcp server turned off.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cheaper yes ... but unless you are comfortable with being able to insure you properly configure the second router to turn off any of the WAN features (so that this router doesn't try to allocate the WAN channel instead of the Verizon provided/managed ActionTec), etc. you could be asking for a headache.  

I prefer the ECB2200 scenario simply because it's a zero configuration setup.

0 Likes