Can I just disconnect/remove Fios backup battery?
boater59

I cut off my home phone service due to not needing/wanting it any longer a few months ago. Now the backup battery is beeping every few minutes. I assume that means it needs replacing.  But it's also my understanding it's only for the phone. I now only have fios cable/internet services. I disconnected the battery and took it out, but that annoying beeping continues. I have even hit the alarm off button on several occasions but it still continues. Am I missing a step or something. I'm about over it and contemplating switching back over to the local cable provider Cox Communications.

0 Likes
Re: Can I just disconnect/remove Fios backup battery?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If it's beeping that usually means that it is no longer getting power. Check to make sure the outlet it is plugged into is getting power. (Unplug it and plug in a lamp or something there to test.) You may need to flip a circuit breaker or reset the GFI on the outlet itself.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yes, if you want to you can open up the battery compartment and just pull the wire off the top of the battery. it will not affect your service as it is only to supply power to the phone in the event of a power outage. Wont hurt a thing to disconnect it

0 Likes
MikeT
Contributor - Level 1

People, when you reply to someone's post, do you even read it?  He is stating the following:

"I disconnected the battery and took it out, but that annoying beeping continues. I have even hit the alarm off button on several occasions but it still continues."

I assume that he wants to know how to shut off the beeping.  He does not want to buy a new battery or pull a cable off of a battery that is already out of the box!  He just wants to stop the beeping, period.

My only suggestion is to take the box apart and cut the wire to the speaker (alarm), this will silence it for good.  Otherwise, you will have to purchase a battery and plug it in to keep it charged.

Sorry for my little rant!

Mike T.

Alexandria, VA

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@MikeT wrote:

People, when you reply to someone's post, do you even read it?  He is stating the following:

"I disconnected the battery and took it out, but that annoying beeping continues. I have even hit the alarm off button on several occasions but it still continues."

I assume that he wants to know how to shut off the beeping.  He does not want to buy a new battery or pull a cable off of a battery that is already out of the box!  He just wants to stop the beeping, period.

My only suggestion is to take the box apart and cut the wire to the speaker (alarm), this will silence it for good.  Otherwise, you will have to purchase a battery and plug it in to keep it charged.

Sorry for my little rant!

Mike T.

Alexandria, VA

I did, in fact, read the post. The unit itself is causing the beeping (not the battery), and as I said, this is usually caused by the unit not receiving power. Remove the CAUSE, and the symptom should be resolved. I did not suggest anything to do with the battery itself.

0 Likes