Can I run the coax out of a g100 then split it to 3 STBs?
FleaDog1

Hi guys. I have an older fios instal. ONT —> coax split through house to STB’s (x3).

bought google wifi. 

Going to have Verizon change output to Ethernet from coax (MoCA).

going to follow the popular DIY thread on here that explains how to do this.

question- when I setup google Wifi disk —> gateway quantum g100 router (off) —> coax to STB .... can I run the coax out of the g100 then split it to the 3 STB?

(i will run a few new Ethernet lines to the additional pucks )

thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Can I run the coax out of a g100 then split it to 3 STBs?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FleaDog wrote:

Hi guys. I have an older fios instal. ONT —> coax split through house to STB’s (x3).

bought google wifi. 

Going to have Verizon change output to Ethernet from coax (MoCA).

going to follow the popular DIY thread on here that explains how to do this.

question- when I setup google Wifi disk —> gateway quantum g100 router (off) —> coax to STB .... can I run the coax out of the g100 then split it to the 3 STB?

(i will run a few new Ethernet lines to the additional pucks )

thanks!

You will need both coax and ethernet connected to the G1100. And you need a switch coming off the Google since it only has one LAN port. 

ONT > Google > switch > G1100

Just leave the coax that in connected to G1100 in place. 

FleaDog1

Ok , thx, so even though Verizon will change the service output on the ONT to Ethernet from coax/MoCA, I should still leave the coax from the ONT in place and connected to the g100? (In addition to the new Ethernet Cable connected to the google disk).

i thought as instructed ONT —> Ethernet —> google disk (wan) —> Ethernet g100 (lan) —> Ethernet OR coax to Verizon STB for fios tv.

i want to go with coax here ans split if possible out of the g100 to use the existing coax wiring through the house to get to the other STB.

Thx

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The coax connected to the router is just providing an IP for the boxes. The RF signal for picture is still coming from the ONT. Is your main Google going to be in the same spot as your G1100 currently? If so you will have ONT going to a 4 port coax spitter. One leg will feed the G1100 and the other 3 leg will go to each box. 

FleaDog1

Yes, main google puck and g110 will be sitting at main TV in living room area. Thx

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FleaDog wrote:

Yes, main google puck and g110 will be sitting at main TV in living room area. Thx

Ok that will be easy then. Just leave everything as is and run ethernet from ONT to Google. Then connect Google or switch to G1100. 

FleaDog1

Sorry - I don’t know why I thought the coax had to run to the STB from the g100. 

i don’t think it said anywhere in the DIY that Ethernet AND coax are running from the ONT. I guess that’s what tripped me up.... I thought coax (MoCA) was being deleted since the Ethernet is being utilized.

so yes, looks pretty straightforward.  

I will just have to decide if I want to go through the hassle of running the Ethernet cables to the spots I want the other pucks or add the Motorola mm1000 Ethernet over MoCA adapter.

thx 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FleaDog wrote:

Sorry - I don’t know why I thought the coax had to run to the STB from the g100. 

i don’t think it said anywhere in the DIY that Ethernet AND coax are running from the ONT. I guess that’s what tripped me up.... I thought coax (MoCA) was being deleted since the Ethernet is being utilized.

so yes, looks pretty straightforward.  

I will just have to decide if I want to go through the hassle of running the Ethernet cables to the spots I want the other pucks or add the Motorola mm1000 Ethernet over MoCA adapter.

thx 

It's really just eliminating MoCA WAN so your own router can be used. MoCA LAN is still in play since there is no other way to get an IP to the set-top boxes.

I would run ethernet to the other two if possible. The G1100 is MoCA port is 2.0 and will limit devices connected to 400 mbps. You didn't want to hook up the other two pucks on WiFi? Not trying to talk you out of hard wiring them. I was just curious.

0 Likes