Can I set up FIOS myself?
Malcolm23
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am moving into a new residence for one year for college. I order FIOS Double Play on August 7th. The previous owners had FIOS before and everything has been installed. I spoke to customer service and they said FIOS is running through my house. I requested my boxes so I could just go ahead and self install it because I don't really need a tech due to the house already being set up (this is what a tech told me over the phone) but when I went to the store to pick my boxes they said that I can't install it because it is a new order, even though FIOS is active in my house. Is there no way that I can get the Verizon router--or even use my own so I can get internet access? I really need it to have it setup because I will be starting school very very soon. Does my house really need a tech to come over when everything is pretty much there and I just need the boxes to access my service? H Thank you.
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I set up FIOS myself?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like pointed out above, Verizon doesn't really like people setting up FiOS themselves. What you can do however, if you ordered Internet and Phone is simply hook up your old router to the ONT using Ethernet and ask Verizon to switch the ONT onto Ethernet. This would be the fastest and least troublesome way to get the service up and running if they have already provisioned the existing ONT. Plus, if a Verizon tech does show up to drop off the router, all he needs to do is connect the Ethernet cable and break the old DHCP lease, if you wish to use that router. Takes two minutes to do at most. Phone service is nothing special, just connect a phone 🙂

If you've gotten TV service and the last owners of the house left their router and Set Top Boxes there, then it should just be a matter of provisioning everything. No tech should be needed, and you can literally get service in under an hour. I'm being a bit overly optimistic about this, but it is the reality if Verizon allows you to break off from their traditional new service routine and simply set it up yourself. The equipment is there, so if the user knows what they are doing they should be able to simply connect things and have service set up. Frees up techs for Verizon and also saves time and money.

View solution in original post

tns
Master - Level 2

You cannot set it up yourself.  If they left everything in place, perhaps they can do it remotely, but certainly its not normal procedure and its probably not in their system to allow it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like pointed out above, Verizon doesn't really like people setting up FiOS themselves. What you can do however, if you ordered Internet and Phone is simply hook up your old router to the ONT using Ethernet and ask Verizon to switch the ONT onto Ethernet. This would be the fastest and least troublesome way to get the service up and running if they have already provisioned the existing ONT. Plus, if a Verizon tech does show up to drop off the router, all he needs to do is connect the Ethernet cable and break the old DHCP lease, if you wish to use that router. Takes two minutes to do at most. Phone service is nothing special, just connect a phone 🙂

If you've gotten TV service and the last owners of the house left their router and Set Top Boxes there, then it should just be a matter of provisioning everything. No tech should be needed, and you can literally get service in under an hour. I'm being a bit overly optimistic about this, but it is the reality if Verizon allows you to break off from their traditional new service routine and simply set it up yourself. The equipment is there, so if the user knows what they are doing they should be able to simply connect things and have service set up. Frees up techs for Verizon and also saves time and money.

Malcolm23
Enthusiast - Level 1
This clears it up. Thank you for the information.