Can I use 1GB MoCA bridge to Move Router Out of Garage?
parttimer1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have ONT in garage, but it is not the ideal place for my router (I do not use the FiOS Router).

Was trying to figure out if I could use this config:

ONT Ethernet in garage --> Ethernet to MoCA bridge --> Coax to bedroom --> MoCA to Ethernet bridge --> my router

Seems like this will work?

I'm thinking I can use either ActionTec ECB6200 (x2) or Motorola MM1000 (x2).

If I hook it up and have any issue, I am thinking I might need to disconnect coax from the ONT (I'm just using coax as a closed system to bridge ont ethernet to a different part of the house, without running dedicated ethernet).

I am internet only, so I don't have to worry about ONT connectivity into my coax.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use 1GB MoCA bridge to Move Router Out of Garage?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With internet only you shouldn’t have any issues with that setup. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With internet only you shouldn’t have any issues with that setup. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This will work.   As you don't have TV, there's no need for the coax to be attached to the ONT at all -- you can disconnect it.   If you want to leave it connected and insure it doesn't interfere with the MoCA signal in any way -- then install a MoCA low-pass filter (LPF) between the ONT and the rest of your home's cable plant.  You can find one for less than $10 at your favorite online retailer.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There isn't any interference from the ONT and a low pass filter isn't needed at the ONT. Cable companies need them so no traffic over 860 MHz leave the house since multiple houses connect to the same tap. The MoCA traffic in a FiOS circuit ends at the ONT.