Can I use FiOS G1100 as just a WiFi Router with a cable modem Arris SB8200?
ramonrocha
I would like to take advantage of my FIOS-G1100 modem as a wifi router. From what I found on the Internet, it is possible to use this modem only as a wifi router, but I was unable to make it work. Can you help me?

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my Verizon because where I moved to, there is no availability all over the street ... I think this is absurd, but patience. So I was forced to use xfinity ...

For that, I had to buy a new modem, I bought the cable modem Arris SB-8200

The IP of the Arris SB8200 is 192.168.100.1

This cable modem is only a modem, that is, it has no DHCP server on it, using 2 ethernet ports for connection.

So I put the IP of the G1100 as 192.168.100.254
With DHCP Server from 192.168.100.100 to 192.168.100.200
I connected an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the SB-8200 to the WAN port of the G1100, although the globe light was enabled (white), it did not work ... The device connected via wifi was unable to obtain an IP.

I tried connecting the SB-8200's LAN port to the G1100's LAN port and the result was the same, except that now the G1100's Globe light turns red.

I appreciate any help.

0 Likes
Re: Can I use FiOS G1100 as just a WiFi Router with a cable modem Arris SB8200?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 It has to be setup like this..

a) WAN port of the G1100 to the LAN of the Arris SB8200.

b) and the LAN IPs can not be in the same subnet. For example the G1100  at 192.168.1.1 and the Arris SB8200 at 192.168.100.1

#2 I will research more info about that G1100.

[EDIT #1] #3 Found manual / user's guide at https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

🙂

[EDIT #2] #4 As need be:

a) In the router after changing the LAN IP, go to Advanced ->MAC Address Cloning.

b) In there you will need to type in the correct MAC/Phyiscal/Hardware Address. Most likely that will be the MAC/Phyiscal/Hardware Address of your computer.

c) Save/Apply.

ramonrocha

It doesn't work ... You keep trying to connect, but you can't get an IP address, even with DHCP Server enabled. According to Arris support, it does not work because it is a gateway.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
@ramonrocha wrote:

It doesn't work ... You keep trying to connect, but you can't get an IP address, even with DHCP Server enabled. According to Arris support, it does not work because it is a gateway.

#1 When they said it is gateway, they are talking about the Arris SB8200? Because otherwise no kidding the FiOS G1100 is considered a gateway.

#2 Very odd.

Let us back words a little.

#1 Disconnect your computer from the FiOS G1100.

#2 Connect your computer to the Arris SB8200.

#3 You do have Internet Access?

#4 If not, resolve that with only the use of the Arris SB8200 and your computer (and of course power supply)

#5 If you have Internet Access, great 🙂

#6 Please check what the public IP Address that you are coming from. There are many sites that do that. Such as https://whatismyipaddress.com/ds-check

Note: Pay attention to what the IPv4 Address is.

#7 Please check what the IPv4 Address(es) on your computer is/are. An example of how to check that = (This is for Windows 10) Start -> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Change Adapter Options. For all of the NICs that are enabled, check what their IPv4 Address is.

#8 Please do not post the full IPv4 Address(es) of your computer is/are, instead answer this next question. When connected directly to the Arris SB8200 do you see any IPv4 Address that your is using computer that is not these three important IPv4 Ranges:

Class A Private LAN 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

Class B Private LAN 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255

Class C Private LAN 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

??

ramonrocha

Yes, that's right, the FiOS G1100 is considered a gateway.

I use the connection via the SB8200's LAN port and browse the Internet. But this cable modem has no built-in WiFi

My intention would be to use the FIOS-G1100 only as a WiFi router, to connect other devices, understand?

My Local Lan IP is 75.69.2xx.2xx

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, this is what you need to do.

#1 When the connection to the Internet works while directly connected to the SB8200, while it great that you recorded your IP Address as I directed you to. Now I want you to record down the MAC/Hardware/Physical Address.

#2 For the MAC/Hardware/Physical Address the format could either FF-00-FF-00-FF-00 or FF:00:FF:00:FF:00

#3 That MAC/Hardware/Physical Address what ever it is on your computer that you recorded, you need to put into the G1100 at Advanced ->MAC Address Cloning. Then save the setting.

#4 Then try connecting the G1100 to the SB8200.

#5 If that does not work, please post and I will help you figure out what the do next.

ramonrocha

I had already tried this and it didn't work.

I'm going to buy a wifi router to solve it.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, odd that did not work - it should of.

Or if not a hardware NAT router, there is also this option too.

DIY NAT router. In other words turning a normal computer into acting as it was a NAT router.

For that there is pure DIY and distros designed for connection sharing. For example of one of those distros that is distros designed for connection sharing is pfSense.

Sure it would be possible to have only one NIC but of best interest should have at least two. Or if the computer does not have two, the ability to add a second one to make your life easier. And required of course than one of the NICs is a wired type.

New computer OR Bought the parts for a computer and built/assembled it OR last but not least a spare computer.

--

I wounder if it is required that you reboot the modem? As how to do that,

from ref https://www.midco.com/contentassets/a8faa9563b6b49e5b244ef7418c1b314/arris-sb8200-user-guide.pdf

in my own words: Pressing the reset button for three to four seconds. If you press the reset button on it for more than seven seconds it will put the modem back to factory default settings.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

More info and other REFs.

Issue one

You might be wondering what I mean by resetting the modem since the modem is not a modem combo, I can give an example what I mean by that.

I have heard/read about reports that someone got a retail cable modem and the following happened.

They connected only their computer and the power supply to it. When the looked at the UI of the modem, it was running the most up to date firmware. But after they connected the modem to the TV cable and in turn to the ISP, when they looked at the UI they found out they were downgraded to an earlier firmware.

Issue two

REF for DIY distros designed for connection sharing =

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Exploring-DIY-Linux-Router-Distros-118897

That includes why to use one.

Here is another REF as to why to use one https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/

Here is a REF about how to do pure DIY router

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/

Here is a REF that includes DIY distros vs a pure DIY router

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/the-router-rumble-ars-diy-build-faces-better-tests-tougher-c...

Issue three.

As addressed in that DSLR news item, if the computer does not have a wireless NIC you would either add a WAP or convert an existing router to act as if it was only a networking hub/switch/WAP.

For as how to convert an existing router to act as if it was only a networking hub/switch/WAP, REF = https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

Which goes like this..

#1 For the Second router - the one that you want to convert. Note this could be your G1100.

a) Have it disconnected at this step.

b) Set it's LAN IP Address with the same Subnet as the primary but outside of the DHCP Range of the Primary router's DHCP Range.

For example with the primary IP Address 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then the other router's LAN IP Address could be 192.168.1.6

c) Disable the DHCP Server in the second RJ-45 WAN port NAT router.

#2 Once you make those changes, now you can connect both of those routers together but this time LAN to LAN.