Can I use a modem other than actiontec or gateway?
paul17011
Enthusiast - Level 2

My contract is up for renewal which has prompted me to write this entry.

Verizon routers are really modem+router. Lots of threads about using another router in some configuration or another. But no or few thread entires about bringing your own modem as you can with other providers. 

I currently have Verizon STBs and coax to my Actiontec.   Are Actiontec or G1100 my only options for simple configuration if I want channel guide and VOD? My contract is up for renewal and Verizon says I must have G1100 if I want to go from 50/50 to 75/75. My skepticism  leads me to think they are just upselling when it may not be required / necessary. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use a modem other than actiontec or gateway?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need ethernet for 75M. I have 75 and it works over coax.

Don't remember if it is 100 or greater than 100 that requires ethernet.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, these devices are routers, not modems. They have a moca gateway that allows stbs to have internet access.

if you have rev I actiontwc, you can use that as well.

there is a thread at the top of this forum on how to use your own router with FiOS stbs.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You definitely don’t need the G1100 to upgrade to 75/75. Also you must have ethernet from your ont to your router. The ont is the main fios equipment that is most likely in the basement. Do you own the actiontec router or do you rent it? If so then you can get your own router. The ethernet from ont will connect to the wan port of you new router. Then take a lan from new router to wan port of actiontec and keep the coaxial connected to actiontec also. If the actiontec is not owned then you will need some other type of moca bridge. Verizon has an FNA(Fios Network Adapter) around 50 bucks that will also work. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need ethernet for 75M. I have 75 and it works over coax.

Don't remember if it is 100 or greater than 100 that requires ethernet.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. 100/100 can use moca. 150 and above needs ethernet.