Can I use an old actiontec router as an access point in another room?
farahm2

Hey folks, sorry to create another post but  I need some help and I didn't know where else to go.

Okay so I have my old actiontec GT704-WG router lying around from when I used to have regular high speed internet. I was wondering if I could hook that up in the top floor and be able to have my wifi devices (iphone, ps3, laptop, etc...) connect to that, instead of the fios router all the way in the basement. Of course, I would want it to connect to the same network as it would if I connected directly to fios router. But I wanna know if this is possible?

If it is possible, what would I have to do in order for my wifi devices to connect to it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Can I use an old actiontec router as an access point in another room?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@farahm2 wrote:

Hey folks, sorry to create another post but  I need some help and I didn't know where else to go.

Okay so I have my old actiontec GT704-WG router lying around from when I used to have regular high speed internet. I was wondering if I could hook that up in the top floor and be able to have my wifi devices (iphone, ps3, laptop, etc...) connect to that, instead of the fios router all the way in the basement. Of course, I would want it to connect to the same network as it would if I connected directly to fios router. But I wanna know if this is possible?

If it is possible, what would I have to do in order for my wifi devices to connect to it?

Thanks!

You would have to connect it via an ethernet cable, lan port to lan port, as I don't believe it's possible to connect it wirelessly.

To connect wirelessly you would need a wireless bridge.  You could get an old Linksys wrt54g router that supports DD-WRT and flash the firmware on that to convert it into a wireless bridge

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

however I believe you would not be able to connect wirelessly to the linksys as it's now running as a bridge. 

0 Likes