Can I use existing Roadrunner cable wiring for Fios Internet?
Tempest1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I currently have Roadrunner and I have the modem running to my room.  I'm having Fios installed this week, my question is, can I use the existing wiring for my Roadrunner cable for Fios?  For example can I just unplug the Roadrunner modem and just plug in the new Fios modem and it works?  I'm not getting any TV or phone service installed, only internet connection.  I'd like to know before if the existing cable can be kept so I can make preparations when the installation guys come to make it as quick as possible.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use existing Roadrunner cable wiring for Fios Internet?
tns
Master - Level 2

If your talking about ETHERNET CABLING, then yes.   You should be able to get the Fios installer to run the necessary cabling from where he installs to the ONT to the location of your old modem/router.  And then put the Verizon router there.

If you also had TV service it depends on the quality of the cable used.  You want to have all rg6 and high quality splitters in your setup.  Lots of older setups used rg59.  Bad cable or splitters as well as poor end connectors can all lead to losing some tv channels from your FIOS TV lineup.

View solution in original post

tns
Master - Level 2

If your talking about ETHERNET CABLING, then yes.   You should be able to get the Fios installer to run the necessary cabling from where he installs to the ONT to the location of your old modem/router.  And then put the Verizon router there.

If you also had TV service it depends on the quality of the cable used.  You want to have all rg6 and high quality splitters in your setup.  Lots of older setups used rg59.  Bad cable or splitters as well as poor end connectors can all lead to losing some tv channels from your FIOS TV lineup.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The answer hasn't changed from your post two months ago.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Fios-Installation-Inside-Home-Can-old-Roadrunner-cables-b...

If the existing cabling is in good condition, then yes, it is reused.

0 Likes
Tempest1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry I completely forgot I posted this before.  Thanks.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It happens 🙂

0 Likes