Can I use my fios gateway as a switch?
beththegambler
Enthusiast - Level 1

To be concise we had fios gigabit internet. The the ethernet come directly from the ont and goes into my nighthawk x10 router. From the router I have all the ethernet ports used.  But ethernet cable goes from the nighthawk to the  fios quantum gateway so that we can enjoy on demand and DVR.  Just to note I did have to go into the fios gateway and change its IP to 192.168.2.1 and it is currently set in bridge mode with both wifi channels of.

I need only a couple more ethernet ports and was wondering if I can use the fios gateway as a switch with its 4 empty ethernet ports? And will I run into any double nat issues?

I am new at this so please bare with me lol.

Thanks 

Shane

0 Likes
Re: Can I use my fios gateway as a switch?
jonjones1
Legend

They can be used as a switch. However the price of switches are really cheap so it would be better to buy a switch with more connections and just plug into your Netgear 

beththegambler
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your response. We rent and cannot got the moca options so I need the verizon gateway anyway to get on demand and DVR so no loss there. 

Will there be any double nat issues?

Thanks

Shane

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Shouldn’t be. 

Like I said if using a switch like from Netgear you can add 5,7,10 or more simply by unconnecting one lan assignment (select anyone) on the non Verizon router, plug in your new switch and after it boots up plug the device into the switch that was previously on the lan.

i prefer Netgear powered switches.