Re: Can Receive but Can't Send Non-Verizon email
ilverface
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a real mess foisted on us by Verizon with no notice.  I receive billing notices from Verizon, but never got a word about this.

For a home computer user it's no big deal - but there are hundreds of thousands of FIOS home users who bring their work laptops home.  Many of our servers use ONLY port 25 for outgoing mail.

So what Verizon did was put us all out of business unless we're sitting in the office.  It's totally unprofessional to use lame workarounds like a gmail account or any other personal account.

Verizon should "whitelist" those with no other options, or find another workaround - because this is THEIR problem, not the customer's!

I was out for several days due to a traffic accident.  All I had for written communication was my laptop - and it was totally useless because of Verizon's surprise lockout.

They seem to try to make it difficult to do anything - every equipment change has resulted in billing problems; it took months to complete the installation; I can't tell you how many billing errors and blown routers I've been through.

Why don't I change?  Because for MOST uses they beat everyone else.  But they sure do manage to screw up and cause problems - and as far as service, just forget it.

I have absolutely no idea how to solve this problem.  Neither do the folks at my website/email server, because no one else has done this (except a few relatively irrelevant smaller ISP's).  NOBODY the size of Verizon has locked the gates over a 2 day period leaving everyone in the lurch.

If anyone has a businesslike workaround, I' love to hear it.  So far, solutions have ben to use personal email addresses or "pay for a static IP address" - why should I PAY for Verizon's problem?

this is going to get MUCH worse over the weekend as more workers try to fire up their laptops to send email, and Verizon's support lines cook under the heat.....

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Why don't you simply change the outgoing mail server of your non-verizon email to use the Verizon mail server.

This is a work-around that should work.  Let us know any reasons why this is not an acceptable solution.

NMH

Yes... just use outgoing.verizon.net for the outgoing server... make sure "outgoing server requires authentication" is checked and set to use you verizon.net username and password... that'll fix ya right up.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ilverface wrote:

I have absolutely no idea how to solve this problem.  Neither do the folks at my website/email server, because no one else has done this (except a few relatively irrelevant smaller ISP's).  NOBODY the size of Verizon has locked the gates over a 2 day period leaving everyone in the lurch.

If anyone has a businesslike workaround, I' love to hear it.  So far, solutions have ben to use personal email addresses or "pay for a static IP address" - why should I PAY for Verizon's problem?

1. I'll let AT&T/TimeWarner/Comcast know that they're a "relatively irrelevant smaller ISP." Not sure what other providers are available in your area, but most major providers in the US have implemented some form of block on port 25.

2. You forget my suggestion, which you are either ignoring or repeatedly misinterpreting. Use a different SMTP server. There won't be any difference that the recipients of your messages can see if you set up the relay properly. If you are having trouble setting this up, maybe someone here with access to Outlook 2007 can take some screenshots to help you out. (Or you can take screenshots and post them and see if we can help based on those.)

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

ilverface wrote:

Don't think it was a 2 day period.  I changed to port 587 when VZ announced it was going to happen a year or so back.  Within the last few weeks they have reiterated the same message several time that the change needed to be made.

If you are using your laptop at home you SHOULD ALWAYS have be using VZ SMTP servers for outgoing AND port 25 WILL work.

I believe that what VZ has given you is the option of using their SMTP servers when NOT connected to their network using port 587 - i.e they will NOT accept remote traffic to their network from port 25.  This is totally in line with every major ISP that I know of.

From what you are saying your work email provider is willing to accept remote port 25 traffic which encourages anonymous spamming

0 Likes
ndeans

I sympathize with ilverface... Yes, you can use the VZ SMTP server to send non-verizon e-mail, but it can be a frustrating experience for anyone that doesn't fit in the box. I'm staying with my aging parents for a while to help them through som health issues and they have FIOS but can't remember their username and password. I need to send e-mail but I'm not a customer. So it looks like I have to make a phone call. The frustrating thing is that it worked fine until this weekend so when it stopped working I had to "CSI" the problem and it wasn't until I found this discussion that I realized VZ was blocking port 25.

They could stand to make things a little more apparent on their website - at least half as apparent as all their sales pitches.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Verizon did send out a mass email but the problem is if you do not use Verizon email than the message may have missed.  Verizon probably should have included this "major change" with the bill or something more noticeable.

ndeans

That would be a good idea. A better presentation on the web site would be good too - like an obvious "operations guide"

0 Likes
Salmo2

ndeans, I am in the same situation. I visit my aging parents several times per year and suddenly couldn't send Outlook 2007 emails anymore since a recent visit.  Now I am back visiting and this is killing my productivity.  I can't find Dad's VZ account info, and he hasn't a clue.  I understand a bit of the thread, but if someone can point me to a screenshot based solution I would feel confident trying to fix it.  Would I need to change my settings after I leave my parents home, and change it back each time I visit?  I'm just  a bit unclear.  BTW I have no network administrator because I am self employed, so please don't ask to contact my NA.  thanks.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

A new thread would have been nice!!

This one was resolved in June, albeit the OP didn't bother marking it resolved.

As your father can send email, export his setting and then import them for a new account on your machine.  - I assume you meant you have no VZ account?  If you do have one then use your vz account at his address.