Can a DSL modem provide Fiber optic connection?
Sprink07

My apartment building was recently upgraded to have fiber optic cables running to each unit and I had a dsl connection before. I called to upgrade my internet and they sent me a quantum Gateway router but had me hook it up to the DSL modem. I have a two part question. Would someone need to come to my building and make switch my internet service to make sure I was getting fiber optic service? also how would I know if i was recieving fiber optic internet or just recieving dsl internet with a different router.

0 Likes
Re: Can a DSL modem provide Fiber optic connection?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To start with, you would need to upgrade from DSL to FIOS Internet.

The rest will be provided to you when you do that.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you called to upgrade what speed did the upgrade you to? I am not sure why they would have you connect the fios router to a dsl modem. What type of dsl modem is it?

What happens with fiber is that will come directly into your apartment and connect to an ONT which is the equipment that converts the fiber. From there will be either ethernet or coax to your FiOS Quantum router. 

0 Likes
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

actually, not all the time does fiber come up to an individual apartment to a designated ont, at times there is an MDU ont aka a 2412 which is a VDSL Fiber ONT which is used to hook up up to 24 people to the fiber optic network over telephone cable which also severely limits te speed capabilities. Depends on the apartment complex and what they allowed Verizon to do, whether they allowed clear curve to be ran into the individual units or whether the complex only allowed coax/ethernet/phone to be pulled to the units, if the latter then the customer may be stuck with FiOS VDSL, which is still TECHNICALLY Fiber Optic but not as fast. (See FTTP: Fiber to the premises, which is te technical term for fiber optic, which is why I said VDSL is still considered a fiber optic service)

Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, if you have issues with the move install or self install kit I would recommend getting a technician out to assist with the installation of the new router, ont cabling, etc. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some really old FiOS MDU installs were done with DSL. A common ONT would be installed and then VDSL technology would be used to deliver the connection over the building's existing copper wiring. Verizon avoids these installs as much as possible now.

Would be strange if Verizon sent you a G1100 to use with DSL service without swapping it out for FiOS. Did Verizon say they were coming to install FiOS?

0 Likes
Sprink07

When I moved into this new apartment they allowed me to sign up for Fios because my building was scheduled to be out fitted for fiber optic capabilities, and once it was installed I called and they just sent me a router and said it was all I needed which is a little confusing to me because I always thought that a technician had to come and at least "flip a switch". I think the best way for me to be sure would be to have a technician come out but I'm having a hard time figuring out how best to do that if anyone could provide assistance on that.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One way to tell would be to hook up new router.

Then bring up web browser and go to speedtest.verizon.net

Run the test ideally from a cable connected device.

If you get the speed you have subscribed to, then all is good.

If not, contact support and they will take it from there.

0 Likes