Can i run Fios Internet to an upstairs office using preexisting cox coax?
donpablo
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have Fios Internet, TV and phone.  The Fios internet connections currently run to a desk top in a downstairs office of our home. I set up a separate office upstairs and the Wifi up there is very slow.  i believe we have the 35/35 service.  On the wired desktop downstairs i get low 40's on Xfinity speed test while upstairs on Wifi i get 10-12 at best and usually lower. I am using a brand new Toshiba Satellite 855 laptop upstairs. I have it set up as a desktop with 25 inch monitor and wireless keyboard, mouse and printer.  Verizon recently sent me the second generation of the G Fios router but it did nothing ot increase the speed upstairs. I asked for the newer N speed but they would not provide that as part of our service.

I would like to find a way to get a wired connection to the upstairs office laptop.  When we used Cox before switching to Fios about seven years ago i had Cox run a coax connection to the upstairs room that i now use as an office. Is there a way i could connect the Fios internet service to this existing coax cable and bring wired internet service to my laptop? I assume i would need to switch from coax to ethernet in order to plug into the laptop.  I spoke to Fios tech about this a year ago and didn't get a solution.  Perhaps they don't support whatever i would need to do so they didn't want to provide me with a solution.

I would appreciate greatly any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Don Pablo

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can i run Fios Internet to an upstairs office using preexisting cox coax?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes that should work quite nicely. 

You will need a second actiontec (will require configuration, see links below) 

or a MOCA Adapter (ECB2200 requires no configuration, but is slightly more expensive)

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes that should work quite nicely. 

You will need a second actiontec (will require configuration, see links below) 

or a MOCA Adapter (ECB2200 requires no configuration, but is slightly more expensive)

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Assuming that coax connection is active (you can watch FIOS TV up in that room?), then yes.

0 Likes
donpablo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased ECB2200v from Amazon, Followed directions to connect with splitter to line in on STB, made connections from device to computer and everything worked perfectly.  I now have wired speeds equal to wife's wire desktop downstairs.  It truly was plug and play. Thanks for the input.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

those little ecb's are great, and easy to use!  glad it helped!

0 Likes
BSPRTSGRP

My overall FiOS speed was upgraded from 75/35 to 150/75 recently.

I installed an Actiontec MoCA ECB2200V in my upstairs office to avoid having to go wireless to the downstairs office where the FiOS ActionTec router is conected to our other computer. That router is connected via ethernet and coax to the ONT,  the speed is much faster and more stable with the adapter than wireless.

If I run FiOS Speedtest on the downstairs computer thats connected directly to the router,  I get 158/80 speeds. But if I run Speedtest on the upstairs computer running the network adapter, I'm getting 95ish on the download side and matching 75 on the upload side. My upstairs computer has an ethernet  Gigabit Network Connection that is updated with the latest software and connected directly to the network adapter.

I'm puzzled

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

The MoCa interface is speed limited.  I don't remember to what, but it's less than 150M.  That is why your new service connected to the ONT via Cat5(6) cable rather than coax for internet.

0 Likes
BSPRTSGRP

I've always had FiOS (7+yrs) and the router has always been connected via ethernet & coax (for video)

ECB2200v Adapter states:

MAX PHYSICAL DATE RATE 270mbps

COAX APPLICATION DATA RATE up to 175mbps bi-directional combined

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@BSPRTSGRP wrote:

MAX PHYSICAL DATE RATE 270mbps

COAX APPLICATION DATA RATE up to 175mbps bi-directional combined

Those rates are misleading.  The ECB220V has a 100Mbps ethernet port, so you're not going to get more than 100Mbps over it.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Datasheet_ECB2200V_Ethernet-Coax_MoCA_Network_Adapter.pdf

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BSPRTSGRP wrote:

... router is connected via ethernet and coax to the ONT ...

Just a point of information since I assume you are already aware of this.  You can have two cables connected between the router and the ONT, but you can have only a single WAN source: either coax or Ethernet.  I assume that it's Ethernet due to your subscribed speeds.  Evidently the coax provides MoCA source data for TV services (VOD, Guide, etc.).

0 Likes