Can my router do bridging?
madwhmax
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am looking at this page and I don't see my router.

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/networking/setup/questionsone/123765.htm

My router is a westell A90-9100EM15-10. If I try to follow the instructions anyway (instructions of the first one there because it looks most similar to my router) when I get to step 7 I can't find anything that looks like what I see in the picture, I can't find any bridge option on my router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can my router do bridging?
prisaz
Legend

@madwhmax wrote:

It doesn't help... and I will soon be switching to comcast, at least they let me use whatever router I want but I will give Verizon this last chance with router bridging, I will call Verizon tomorrow and see if they help me, I'm getting a linksys router from a friend tonight.

Yes you can use your own router. Have your ONT box switched to Ethernet and run an Ethernet cable to your router and connect the Verizon router to yours. It is not supported if you place your router first, but Verizon will switch your ONT so IP comes through Ethernet and not Moca to the router. I have A Linux PC as a router connected Via Ethernet and the WAN ports and DHCP are disabled on my Verizon router. Unless you have networking knowledge and experience I would not do that. The easiest way would be just to plug the Verizon routers WAN port into your routers LAN port. Verizon can not be expected to support and troubleshoot every  router and network configuration under the sun. But yes you can run your own router, just do not look for them to support it. If you change the primary router configuration, do not expect remote DVR to work because there are special features in the Verizon router to allow that to function. Also with multiple routers Home Media DVR will not function properly. But you can have your router as primary and only use the Verizon router for IP to the set top boxes for guide updates. I can guarantee Comcast can not compare with FiOS. IMO

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps, this may help

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

--

If not, please post.

0 Likes
madwhmax
Enthusiast - Level 2

It doesn't help... and I will soon be switching to comcast, at least they let me use whatever router I want but I will give verizon this last chance with router bridging, I will call verizon tomorrow and see if they help me, I'm getting a linksys router from a friend tonight.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@madwhmax wrote:

It doesn't help... and I will soon be switching to comcast, at least they let me use whatever router I want but I will give Verizon this last chance with router bridging, I will call Verizon tomorrow and see if they help me, I'm getting a linksys router from a friend tonight.

Yes you can use your own router. Have your ONT box switched to Ethernet and run an Ethernet cable to your router and connect the Verizon router to yours. It is not supported if you place your router first, but Verizon will switch your ONT so IP comes through Ethernet and not Moca to the router. I have A Linux PC as a router connected Via Ethernet and the WAN ports and DHCP are disabled on my Verizon router. Unless you have networking knowledge and experience I would not do that. The easiest way would be just to plug the Verizon routers WAN port into your routers LAN port. Verizon can not be expected to support and troubleshoot every  router and network configuration under the sun. But yes you can run your own router, just do not look for them to support it. If you change the primary router configuration, do not expect remote DVR to work because there are special features in the Verizon router to allow that to function. Also with multiple routers Home Media DVR will not function properly. But you can have your router as primary and only use the Verizon router for IP to the set top boxes for guide updates. I can guarantee Comcast can not compare with FiOS. IMO

madwhmax
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have a DVR and how do I have my ONT box switched to Ethernet? I once asked about this specifically and the verizon guy had no idea what I was talking about or pretending so. I'm too tired of this and I already wasted days with horrific westell router (when it comes to wake on lan to the very least) and I'm not willing to waste any more. I know verizon is better than comcast overall but this is forcing me to go back to comcast. 😞 I will give it a last try tomorrow though like I said.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@madwhmax wrote:

I don't have a DVR and how do I have my ONT box switched to Ethernet? I once asked about this specifically and the Verizon guy had no idea what I was talking about or pretending so. I'm too tired of this and I already wasted days with horrific westell router (when it comes to wake on lan to the very least) and I'm not willing to waste any more. I know Verizon is better than comcast overall but this is forcing me to go back to comcast. 😞 I will give it a last try tomorrow though like I said.

If you call tech support they will need a service order. They used to do it on the fly when you called, but now they need a work order to track who has what. If you call tech support tell them you would like your IP switched from Moca to Ethernet. If the person refuses, will not help you, or acts like they do not know what you are asking, you need to talk to a supervisor. Have your Ethernet cable read to prevent downtime and proof that things are working after the switch. Ethernet cable from ONT to WAN port on the Verizon router. Make sure it works with the Verizon router first! To be sure you can temporally disconnect the coax on the router and make sure your Internet is still active. Once the Ethernet port has been turned on, you may need to reset your router. I love my FiOS and would never go to cable.

madwhmax
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK I followed your advice and someone is coming down here today but they better not charge me, I never had this problem with comcast, I could always use any router I wanted with comcast.

0 Likes
madwhmax
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now I can finally use any router! I have internet through the cat5 cable, awesome and thanks for the advice. Now back to my problem: wake on lan. I'm now using a belkin and it has the same problem, wake on lan over the internet only works in the first few minutes after my computer was put to sleep because from what I understand from what I found on google the router forgets the ARP table.

What is the best router that just works with wake on lan?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, it would help to know the exact model of that belkin router.

0 Likes
madwhmax
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's f5d9230-4 but really I'm too tired of these crappy routers that were never designed for wake on lan. I want one that just works with wake on lan. What router would be best? This is all I want to know...

0 Likes