Can somebody help me with my bridged G1100
Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I have a Nighthawk X10 router. I bridged my G1100 so the x10 is primary. Everything works great (on demand on all stb's, app still streams live tv) everything works perfectly than at some point over night when I get up in the morning the items that are connected to my router via Ethernet loose connection. Wireless devices work fine but nothing that is connected directly to the router. If I reboot my x10 everything is up and running again than will go back out again at some point over night. Am I missing something? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can somebody help me with my bridged G1100
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes! You could use a MoCA adapter in place of the G1100. The ones on amazon from Actiontec work great. They would be plug and play. 

Personally I think their overpriced for what they do, but if you paying to rent the g1100 then it might be worth it in the long run. 

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

What tutorial did you use to setup the network with your x10 as primary? (Dslreports.com, etc). 

Was the Nighthawk router purchased new or used? 

When you say the Ethernet devices loose connection, do you mean they just can no longer access the internet, or is the actual ethernet indicator light on the router off when this happens? 

Hope we can get this resolved soon! 

Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your response!  My x10 was purchased new but I have used it for about 4month wile I was with Comcast. (I didn't have the problem when I was with Comcast). As for setting it up I just did a factory reboot than connected the x10 directly from ont via Ethernet than followed the setup wizard on the x10. Everything worked great. Than I woke up one morning and noticed my hue lights weren't responding. I rebooted the router and it was good again. The next morning same thing. I rebooted again and it was back up and running. Now after the 3rd time I checked my tv (also hardwired) and it to was not connected to the internet. So I began checking all devices and noticed only the ones that are connected directly using Ethernet weren't working. Ones using wifi (my phone, laptop and smart thermostat) all were working great. The x10 is updated to the latest firmware and I just don't think the router is faulty. It could be I just don't think that's the problem. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry the lights on the x10 are blinking  orange when not working. Solid white after reboot. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the extra info. 

I believe I have an idea of whats happening, its possible that the LAN networks from the two routers are overlapping. How do you have the G1100 plugged into your current network? Is its WAN port plugged into one of the Nighthawk's LAN port? 

Assuming you have not changed any settings on the G1100, and according to documents from Netgear, both networks are using 192.168.1.0/24 addresses. You will need to login to one of the routers of your choice and change this range to something else. I would do this on your nighthawk. 

I found this document, it may not be exactly your router but I would assume the procedure is pretty similar across all of Netgear's newer routers. 

1. Login to http://192.168.1.1/ (The default username is admin, and the default password is password. If you haven't done so already, please for all that is holy change these to something more secure). 

2. The BASIC Home page displays. Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup. The LAN Setup page displays.

3. In the IP Address field, type the IP address. Make this something like 192.168.10.1. (This can be any address you want, as long as its not 192.168.1.1) 

4. In the IP Subnet Mask, type the subnet mask of the router. This should be 255.255.255.0

5. Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved.

Now, re-connect your laptop / device to the router, and see if you still have the same trouble. 

Here is the original document I used to get the above info: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000_UM_EN.pdf

Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the g1100 in bridge mode. My x10 is connected directly to the ont to wan on x10 using Ethernet. Than I have Ethernet from a LAN port of x10 to a LAN port on the g1100 to supply IP address to my stb's. My x10s IP address shows as 10.0.0.1 you think I should change that to like 10.0.0.12

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah ok. Don't change the IP of the netgear in that case. 

How did you setup the G1100 into "Bridge Mode"? Did you disable IP Address distribution (DHCP)? 

Just to test, try and plug the ethernet cable into the WAN port of the G1100, not the LAN ports. Make sure none of your devices are plugged into the LAN ports of the G1100. Test to see if this resolves the issue. 

Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay thank you again for your help on this it's really driving me nuts lol. I followed the directions found here   http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Prim...     To put the g1100 into router mode. Wow you know after reading those instructions again I see I set the IP address of the G1100 as 196.168.1.2 and I know my Hue lights IP address is also 196.168.1.2. I wonder if that is the conflict that's causing me to lose the connection. Well I did like you said first and moved the Ethernet to the wan port on the G1100. I will let you know after a few hours if I lose the connection again. I really can't thank you enough for your help!

0 Likes
Beats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I reset the hue lights and it assigned a new IP address to it. I think this may have been the problem. Wow thank you so much for talking this out with me. I will let you know how this goes. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear that! Is it possible to check the current IP that your hue lights are getting? They should be getting the 10.x.x.x IP from your netgear router, not 192.168.x.x.