Re: Can't Connect To Wifi
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry to hear it's not working. Don't call to request a tech. The techs are not computer experts. Ok. So you have encryption turned off? I know you have changed the SSID to something else, but change it one more time to something completely different. So like SSID = virus and turn any type of wireless encryption. Your devices should be able to connect to the router at this level.

I forgot to ask. What brand is the other router you are using with the Verizon router?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please post some snap shots of your router configuration -- you can blur out the password of the wifi or just use aa temporary ssid and password.

Icedburden
Enthusiast - Level 3
The other two are Verizon-branded routers that I bought during a sale on their site last year. Like i said though, i had this problem before i hooked the other two. Ill try the ssid route again.
0 Likes
Icedburden
Enthusiast - Level 3
@lasagna Do you mean while I'm in the router settings in my browser? Just clarifying.
0 Likes
Icedburden
Enthusiast - Level 3
I tried changing the ssid id and removing all security settings... Still no internet through wifi.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

when you get connected to the wifi, don't try to browse.

Go to start > run or search) > type 'cmd' and hit enter

you should get a black dos window.

type ipconfig

Write down the IP address, and post it here 192.168.1.x

and then do two pings

so type ping 4.2.2.2

and paste those results here, or let us know how many sent how many received and how % lost.

and then do a 2nd ping

so type ping www.yahoo.com  

and paste those results here, or let us know how many sent how many received and how % lost.

0 Likes
Icedburden
Enthusiast - Level 3
The problem isn't the home computer. That's hardwired. I can't do command prompt on my ipad, phone or xbox. Those devices are the ones that connect but recieve any information.
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

Keep in mind the WPA2 keys are case sensitive, unlike most WEP keys which can technically be entered in either way. It's also a suggestion to check MAC filtering and to change the Radio mode to "Wireless G" devices only, or a G/N mode.

Minor.  WPA2 keys are represented as hex characters just as wep key are and not case sensitive.  However you most often see the WPA2 Passphrase, used with other info to generate the key.  That is case sensitive.

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Ok. I was reading the thread again. One thing that pops into my head is you stated that you have a hardwired computer. When you tested the wireless connection and failed. Were you still able to get online via cabled into the FIOS Router still? The reason I ask this questions is that the Verizon network uses MAC Address Binding. If you connect one router to the internet. Verizon binds the WAN MAC address of that router to their Network. If you remove that router and connect another router right after, then it will not get online. Reason is that the Verizon Network Router has not released the MAC address of the previous router yet. 2 ways to clear this is to call Verizon and have them Release the DHCP or unplug your router and leave your coax or ethernet cable going to the FIOS ONT to clear our. It usually will clear out about every 8 or more minutes. So connect the router that you want to get online after this time frame and then setup your wireless to this router with the default settings first. Check to make sure that the first device is able to get an LAN IP address from the router(ex:192.168.1.2). Next attempt to access the router login screen(192.168.1.1). In the advance settings the router does have a ping test tool. After testing this, then check to see if you can get online. Also check if you can access the Apple APPS Store. If you can access the APPS Store, then you are online. If you are unable to get to web pages, then you may have a DNS issue.  Hope some of this helps.

0 Likes