Re: Can't access my hosting account on GoDaddy from Verizon via FTP.
GregHG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue in suburban Maryland. tracert give me the same result.

I was on the phone with tech support, and they tried reassigning the ip etc. Then they contacted their network colleagues, and the answer that came back is that verizon is no longer supporting ftp. I was given a number {edited for privacy} to call. As it is 1 am, I will try calling later. But if a service that I've had for 10+ years is being removed, that is unacceptable.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Electrodivanyc, RonTec,  and GregHG

Your issues have ALL been escalated individually  to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page here on the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
stevemann1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't see the OP's problem until after I posted my question (Firewall is blocking some FTP sessions).

Your issue appears identical to mine.  The problem started about 5 weeks ago.  (I was getting much more competent support during the strike).

Go look for my post to prevent duplicate replies, but basically- I have discovered that the failing FTP session works with the Actiontec firewall disabled.  Disabling the firewall is not a solution.  But try it to see if our problems are identical.

As I said in my earlier post, some FTP sessions work and some don't.  What could be different in the FTP sessions that the firewall could be blocking?

electrodivanyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

The official response I have now gotten from Verizon is that they no longer support FTP to any domain. Quite frankly - this is a stunning and truly surprising response. It's like saying "we will have you pay for access to the internet - but we no longer support HTTP". I mean - geez... this is a basic internet function that is necessary for anyone who builds, manages, or works on websites. I'm a freelance designer - so I'm basically hooked up to FTP sites on a daily basis when I'm working on a project. 

I am going to see about using the remote shell idea - but it looks like my only course of action is to either switch ISPs (Verizon) or get every client with a Godaddy account to switch. Both options looks pretty bad. Whatever you feel about GoDaddy - they are one of the largest - if not THE largest hosting provider in the US. You simply cannot say "sorry - we don't support FTP".

Still not solving the problem!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does GoDaddy support another protocol like sftp?

0 Likes
electrodivanyc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Only for Wordpress sites. This isnt a Wordpress site. They have a cPanel file manager - but it is not practical for someone working with lots of files on sites on a regular basis.

Oddly enough - I just used a Brackets FTP sync plug in and managed to upload some test files to my server. Unfortunately - the plugin doesnt download files. That makes this more bizarre. Is it a port blocking issue? When I try to telnet in on port 21 it says "connected" - but there is no welcome message. I've turned off all firewalls on both local machines and the router and still can't connect. I've been using this server for at least 10 years over FIOS with no issues. I can get there from the same laptop over Comcast when I'm travelling. 

When I try to connect with Dreamweaver - for example - I get this messageimage

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello stevemann

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page here on the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
stevemann1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elizabeth - thank you for your prompt response to this and other's issues.  We may not say it often enough, but you are appreciated.

Steve

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

We try, stevemann. And your words are appreciated.

0 Likes
NEWGUIDESTINKS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can FTP to other hosting companies, but cannot access GoDaddy's servers. Again, GoDaddy says it's all in the Verizon network and has nothing to do with them. Looking at the Verizon outage map, there's a big outtage in the NE part of the country:  http://outage.report/verizon-fios

0 Likes