Can't access website I visit on a daily basis (going on 2 days now).
KevinVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

Not sure what can be done by posting on here, but maybe someone who works at Verizon can help me out.  I'm a regular visitor to aquaticcommunity.com (on a daily basis).  Up until about two days ago, everything was fine.  Two days ago, I started having some accessibility issues through FiOS.  I know it's a problem on my/Verizon's end, because if I use a proxy browser to connect to the website, it works flawlessly.  Using a proxy is, of course, not optimal.  I signed up for FiOS, because I wanted faster speeds.  Using a proxy would be silly, when I have the 50/25 plan.

Anyway, I ran a traceroute from my home computer, and I get the following:

1  <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2  9 ms 4 ms 6 ms L100.WASHDC-VFTTP-94.verizon-gni.net [96.241.2111]
3  9 ms 13 ms 10 ms G0-13-3-4.WASHDC-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.09.170]
4  11 ms 10 ms 9 ms ae0-0.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.209.19]
5  11 ms 10 ms 9 ms 0.ae1.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.34.21]
6  29 ms 10 ms 26 ms te0-6-0-0.ccr21.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.12.45]
7  13 ms 11 ms 10 ms cr2-tengig0-8-5-0.washington.savvis.net [204.70.06.241]
8  37 ms 30 ms 33 ms 206.28.96.218
9  31 ms 33 ms 33 ms te0-1-0-3.ccr22.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.2]
10  38 ms 41 ms 33 ms 208.173.176.222
11  36 ms 33 ms 34 ms cogent-chi.liquidweb.com [38.104.103.166]
12  43 ms 43 ms 41 ms lw-core3-te91.rtr.liquidweb.com [209.59.157.204]

13  35 ms 37 ms 37 ms 209.59.157.36
14  * * * Request timed out.
15  * * * Request timed out.
16  * * * Request timed out.
17  * * ^C

Needless to say, I'm unable to finish the trace, which tells me there's a bad route/HUB along the way.  I have no idea what/who that last IP belongs to or where it routes to next, but I'd like to find out where the problem lies and I'd love for it to be fixed.

Any ideas out there?  Any fixes?  Does this look like something Verizon can fix on their end?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS - Are we stuck using the modem/router that Verizon gives us, or can we use our own?  I had been using a nice modem/router of my own for the past year and it seems to be much more functional than combo one that replaced them. =/

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't access website I visit on a daily basis (going on 2 days now).
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, you are free to use your own router (FiOS does not use modems, and if it does it uses a VDSL modem and these are only tound in apartment setups really) and I strongly suggest getting your ONT moved to an Ethernet connection if your router has a Coaxial connection back to the ONT. Lower latency and easier swapping, plus you don't have to bridge the ActionTec. As a downfall of this, you will lose some extended FiOS TV features such as Remote DVR or Caller ID but Guide and Video on Demand, along with all of the TV stations will continue to work.

So what your trace is showing here is that you're making it to the router just before you hit the web server. My trace is similiar to yours however the hop after your final hop winds up being the server itself and I am able to reach the site without issue. With that in mind it's possible you've got one of few issues:

1: Outdated BOGAN filters if your IP address recently changed to a new IP address that verizon recently obtained

2: The server's Firewall may be blocking your connection, which can happen if the webmaster has accidentally set their firewall to be too aggressive.

3: There could be a hidden route issue we're not seeing between a transit provider and Verizon. This does not seme to be a Verizon issue exclusively since it works fine from my end.

For this I'd say try reaching out to the site owner to see if they can work with you to find out what is going on. Give them your IP address (since they can see it anyways if this is a forum too) and have them perform a traceroute from the server to your connection to see if it completes (they must use ICMP traceroute if this is a Linux server, which defaults to UDP) and also to check their Firewall.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, you are free to use your own router (FiOS does not use modems, and if it does it uses a VDSL modem and these are only tound in apartment setups really) and I strongly suggest getting your ONT moved to an Ethernet connection if your router has a Coaxial connection back to the ONT. Lower latency and easier swapping, plus you don't have to bridge the ActionTec. As a downfall of this, you will lose some extended FiOS TV features such as Remote DVR or Caller ID but Guide and Video on Demand, along with all of the TV stations will continue to work.

So what your trace is showing here is that you're making it to the router just before you hit the web server. My trace is similiar to yours however the hop after your final hop winds up being the server itself and I am able to reach the site without issue. With that in mind it's possible you've got one of few issues:

1: Outdated BOGAN filters if your IP address recently changed to a new IP address that verizon recently obtained

2: The server's Firewall may be blocking your connection, which can happen if the webmaster has accidentally set their firewall to be too aggressive.

3: There could be a hidden route issue we're not seeing between a transit provider and Verizon. This does not seme to be a Verizon issue exclusively since it works fine from my end.

For this I'd say try reaching out to the site owner to see if they can work with you to find out what is going on. Give them your IP address (since they can see it anyways if this is a forum too) and have them perform a traceroute from the server to your connection to see if it completes (they must use ICMP traceroute if this is a Linux server, which defaults to UDP) and also to check their Firewall.

KevinVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response!  That was extremely helpful.  I hadn't thought about my IP address being an issue until you mentioned that.  I decided to try and release/renew my leased IP and that worked. =]

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!  You saved me hours/days of needless troubleshooting. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂 . Let us know if you need any further help.

0 Likes